Sensor, Lens, Aberration, and Diffraction

Eye-level

Banned
Food for thought...

It works DX vs DX too...

Suppose I set up my D5000 with the 85/1.8 and set it at about f4-5.6 the critical aperture and make a snap...

Suppose I set up my D7000 with the 85/1.8 and set it at about f4-5.6 and make a snap of the same thing as before...

What do you think the results would look like and what would you conclude about the relation of the sensor to diffraction and the lens to diffraction???

​Let's not even talk about DX vs FX...LOL

Eye-level

Banned
I always have moonshine at all times no need for raids... :)

Think about what I said Sam...I bet the D7000 result looks "better technically speaking"...

I don't know...why don't you let me borrow your D7K to find out! hahaha LOL

Sambr

I always have moonshine at all times no need for raids... :)

Think about what I said Sam...I bet the D7000 result looks "better technically speaking"...

I don't know...why don't you let me borrow your D7K to find out! hahaha LOL

If you lived close by I would. :)

§am

The D7000 would give a better picture of course.
If it didn't then errrrm, Nikon have got one amazing marketing department that can sell a camera that isn't better than the D5000 for more $s and convince people it is :p

​Joking aside - I need to borrow a D7000 to check :)

Sambr

Don't know if it will be better, that all depends on the person behind the view finder - the D7000 is built differently as well sensor technology has improved since the D5000 - case in point the D600 has the 2nd best sensor in the world beating out the D4.

Eye-level

Banned
Now you are moving up to the FX though...

Let's do this...

D4 85/1.8 f5.6 pretty girl half portrait
D800 85/1.8 f5.6 pretty young thing...lol
D600 85/1.8 f5.6 redux

What happens?

Akiviri

What Happens:

D4 - Gives you a pleasant shot of a pretty girl ... ppl go "OOOooo Nice!" (If you did your part anyway)

D800 - Let's you count the pores on her pretty cheek, reveals the mischievous look deep in her eyes, and allows you to see the sex of her future child. People are stunned.

D600 - settles somewhere in the middle with a pleasing shot, and the mischievous look, plenty of compliments still.

Rick M

Now you are moving up to the FX though...

Let's do this...

D4 85/1.8 f5.6 pretty girl half portrait
D800 85/1.8 f5.6 pretty young thing...lol
D600 85/1.8 f5.6 redux

What happens?

The pretty young girl thinks the D600 is "cute" and the photographer doesn't care what he's using anymore :)

Dave_W

The Dude
Food for thought...

It works DX vs DX too...

Suppose I set up my D5000 with the 85/1.8 and set it at about f4-5.6 the critical aperture and make a snap...

Suppose I set up my D7000 with the 85/1.8 and set it at about f4-5.6 and make a snap of the same thing as before...

What do you think the results would look like and what would you conclude about the relation of the sensor to diffraction and the lens to diffraction???

​Let's not even talk about DX vs FX...LOL

It depends upon what you mean by diffraction. Do you mean to say that if both sensor were subjected to the same amount of diffraction would it result in the same amount of diffractional aberrations in the final image? If that's what you're asking the answer is no, each sensor will handle the same amount of diffraction differently. But since you're using the same lens in both examples then both sensors will be subjected to the exact same amount of diffraction.

stmv

Now shoot with say a 5100 vs 7000 same set up,,

same sensor,, so same results,,

and still 300 dollar difference!

paying for features.

crycocyon

Diffraction limit starts to kick in around f/8-f/11 for the D800 and for the D3200 around f/5.6 given its even higher pixel density. So in the situations you describe you wouldn't hit the limit. Chromatic aberration is picked up more by the higher resolution sensors as it is simply resolved better as opposed to being a blurred edge. Apart from that, if you are not yet at the diffraction limit, then it will be simply a difference in pixel resolution/ISO performance/dynamic range that determines the difference in image quality.