Nikon 50mm 1.4 vs. 1.8 with new D600

mlcinema

​Hello All,

Any thoughts on the Nikon 50mm 1.4 vs. 1.8 for use with a new D600? Are there any other better first prime lenses to purchase?

Thank you.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
If you are talking about the "G" lenses, the Nikon 50mm f1.8G lens offers great performance and value.

Top performers also include:
Zeiss 50mm f2 manual focus lens
Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM lens

§am

I've heard nothing but great things about the f/1.8, even so far as to say it's a better performer than the f/1.4

crycocyon

Agreed, it is a bit better than the 1.4 in sharpness. But if you need the extra stop in light gathering power then the 1.4 might be for you. As a first prime a 50 mm is essential, unless you opt for a 35 mm 1.4 which for some people give them more flexibility.

clarnibass

I also recommend the 50mm 1.8G, after comparing it with the 50mm 1.4G and the Sigma 50mm. With the exception of relatively few people and/or review websites who claim the 1.4G is better, just about everyone agree that the 1.8G is sharper at apertures f/1.8 to approx f/4 where they beging to match. I found the 1.8G to be especially better at the corners at the wider apertures but also (but less) in the center.

The build quality of the 1.4G is maybe a fraction better, but neither is great or terrible and the 1.8G is definitely a better value. It (the 1.8G) focuses slightly faster too and is smaller and lighter (advantages for me).

Unless you absolutely need the extra 2/3 of a stop, I see no reason to get the 1.4G. See this comparison Seven 50mm prime lenses for Nikon F-mount compared by Cary Jordan | Nikon Rumors

Geoffc

I ordered the 1.4 with my 600 and then cancelled it for the 1.8 because the reviews led me to conclude it was no better. Unfortunately I can't compare to confirm that.

Puzz1e

Banned
I love my 50mm 1.4g, but have heard great things about the 1.8 also. Seriously they are both plenty sharp with great IQ. If you want the extra light/bokeh-bility then go the 1.4, otherwise the 1.8 is fine