D40 Error: Lighting is poor. Flash recommended

carguy

Setup my speedlight on a stand to take a few shots tonight. D40 is on manual, 1/200, F4, WB: Flash.
Flash was on 1/4 and 1/8 power. Took about 10 shots, all of the sudden, Camera won't fire.

I am using the cheaplights trigger/receivers. Swapped to a freshly charged battery. Flash fires fine using test button and pretting the button on the trigger.
Swapped my 50mm for the 18-55mm, same message. No luck in the manual or a google search. Any ideas?

Thanks.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
1/200 and 1/8 or 1/4 power is a poor recipe for indoor or night photography. I assume that you also use ISO 100.

Try lowering the shutter speed and increase your ISO a little bit. What kind of flash are you using?

carguy

I am at ISO 200, lowest it goes on my camera.

I am indoors, big front window letting in plenty of light. Strange part is, I took a number of frames at the same settings then the error appeared. Shortly after posting the thread, it began working again.

Flash is an SB-700 mounted on a stand.

Here is one shot after things were back on track. And yes, I need to learn to turn off my watermark in Lightroom (noob) :D

1/640, F4, ISO 200, 50mm

SB-700 through umbrella by MichiganClassics.com, on Flickr

carguy

Reading your response, I realized I may not have taken the flash off 'Standby'. If the flash rolled into standby mode, would this occur?

carguy

Sounds like it. I thought it might hold that setting from session to session. I'll be sure to verify it's turned off next time. Thank you!