About to switch to Nikon.

Lurch

Evening all,
I'm about to make the change from my Pentax K5 to a full frame camera and right now the D800 is leading the list.
My initial kit will probably be a wide-angle zoom, a nice 50mm, and a 70-something telephoto.
But before I go and drop some serious coin on the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8, is there any alternatives I should be looking at?
A good 80-90% of my shooting is Wide to Normal, so its an area I'm happy to invest in - I just dont want to be spending money when there is other alternatives.

Cheers,
Lurch

JDFlood

The 14mm - 24mm is an incredible lens, I use it a lot. I normally only use primes, but it is that good. I use a 35mm as a normal ( if you used a 50mm on you 1.5 crop Pentax, then this would be the equivalent. After years of experience I realized for the photography I do, I need the depth of field. I don't use a telephoto much, so the 70mm - 300mm is light and inexpensive... And really sharp for a lens that cheap. As I said, I really don't use that long of a lens any more... Puts too much atmosphere between me and the subject. You will be astounded with the performance of the D800, it is magnificent. JD

stmv

You can ease into the 17-35 range by

buying

18-35 which has rumor to be very sharp and less than 750 dollars..

or the

16-35 F4 at 1400 dollas

you won't go wrong with the 17-35 2.8

or you could go a bit older with a used 20-35 for a while, a very fine lens, but run around 800 dollars.

Lurch

Thanks for the tip.
I've read about the 18-35. It is supposedly just as sharp as the 17 but with a bit more distortion.
Anyone know how good the LR lens profile is for this lens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Smoke signals.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Thanks for the tip.
I've read about the 18-35. It is supposedly just as sharp as the 17 but with a bit more distortion.
Anyone know how good the LR lens profile is for this lens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Smoke signals.

I doubt that it will have a lens profile available this early.

Welcome to the forum. Great recommendations already.

For practical purposes, I use the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII with my D800E and it is just awesome when it comes to landscape. I can't vouch for the other lenses since I have not tried them. My alternate choice would be the newer Nikon 18-35mm. If money was not an object, the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 would be it but I prefer using the 77mm lens filters that I use with my other lenses.

Other lenses to consider:

Nikon 24-70mm f2.8
Nikon 24-120mm f4 VRII
Nikon 28mm f1.8G

Last edited:

jwstl

The 17-35 is an older design and isn't the best choice on the D800. You would be better off with either the 16-35 or the 14-24. The 14-24 is supposed to be better in the center and has very low distortion. The 16-35 is a little weaker in the center but is supposed to have better corners than the 14-24, more distortion at the wide end, has VR and accepts screw-in filters. They really are 2 different beasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lurch

Thanks for your help guy. I think I've settled on the 24-85, the 50mm 1.5G, and a Tamron 70-300 USD. When money allows, I'll add some fast primes in to the wider mix :) (That new Sigma 35mm is looking good :) )

Last edited:

ktan7

24-85 is great - it is a workhorse lense and it is so versatile. You probably don't use to change your lense much if you have that baby slapped on. I would get that and a few primes with lower stops.