D600 or D7100

eli

So, i may upgrade from the D7000 - though not before June or later in the summer - and have been considering the D600, though the dust/oil spot issues have been a concern i have expressed before in my posts here. Now comes the D7100
and i am wondering which of the two would be the most worthy upgrade. I like to shoot flowers, nature, landscapes,
travel, typical travel sites like fountains, streets, in museums, in churches and, of course, i like to photograph people, family, friends, and hopefully in the next couple of years a grandchild (not in my control!) Each season i go to a couple of Yankees games, but sports is not a compelling photographic compulsion.
When i purchased the camera i had a theme that i wished to explore that involved photographing people in situations that demanded quick reactions on my part and a good auto focus system.
I am not a polished photographer but i have the 105/2.8 that i love, and fast 35 and 50 mm lenses.
So, let me pose this question: What would you upgrade to if you had my interests? Would you stay with Nikon given quality control issues? Move to Canon while i still have a minimal investment in lenses? I do love that 105 micro lens though.
thanks for the responses
E.

Phillydog1958

Go with the D600. When attempting to compare a full-framed camera to a cropped-sensored camera, it's like comparing apples to oranges. The D7000 is a great camera, and the D7100 is even greater, but the differences between the 2 are not great enough to justify a jump from the D7000 to the D7100. Your next step would be the D600 or maybe the D800, if you don't mind the monstrous files. Although the D7100 is awesome, ask yourself, which camera would greatly improve your photos over the those of camera that you currently have. I really think that upgrades should be about leaps and bounds in the area of photo improvement. I'm not sure a hop from the D7000 to the D7100 is worth the trouble.

eli

THanks TEd - i know people love their 800 (or 800 E) but the file size is daunting. For my skills and purposes, that is probably overkill.
I know the resolution is magnificent but i think my options remain the D7100 and D600. If i didn't love the 105 micro, i might move to Canon.

eli

And Phillydog has a point about the advantage of purchasing a camera that improves your photography (of at least capabilities) by leaps and bounds instead of small increments of improvement in the camera's capabilities - so the D600 has advantages over the D7100.
Have you been happy with the D600 and the 105micro - that is my favorite lens that i own?

Rick M

The 105 is excellent on the D600, posted a few flower shots using it in my occasional posting thread a few days ago

Phillydog1958

And Phillydog has a point about the advantage of purchasing a camera that improves your photography (of at least capabilities) by leaps and bounds instead of small increments of improvement in the camera's capabilities - so the D600 has advantages over the D7100.
Have you been happy with the D600 and the 105micro - that is my favorite lens that i own?

Yep. I like the 105. its a fun lens. I just purchased a Nikon teleconverter, which I can use with the 105. Im looking forward to it.

Cowboybillybob1

I went through a similar decision. I ended up with the D600.
I wanted full frame because it was the next logical camera to upgrade from a D70000. The D800 is next on my list for anew body but the Nikon 70-200 f/2 has to come first.
I have a Tamron 70-300 to cover that range. Pretty nice lens Auto Focus and Macro between 180 and 300. Nice and sharp with almost no vignetteing.
TheD7100 is great camera but not Full Frame. I do not see the D7100 as the next logical step. I love this D600.