scratches on the lens

kiwi86

I found very favorable offer for the lens which has a scratches on the lens. They claim it doest not effect on image quality. What is your opinion?

crashton

It might not, but if the light hits the lens just the right or maybe the wrong way they may. For me it would have to be a super deal with the option to return the lens for a full refund if I did notice those scratches in photos.

fotojack

What lens, how much, and why didn't the previous owner have a lens filter on it? Brings up that whole question again about lens filters, doesn't it! ;)

Eye-level

Banned
Light scratches on the front element of the lens won't hurt so much but stay away from anything that has scratches on the rear element because that is where you will definitely run into trouble.

Many years ago when I was just learning photography I was in a photography class. One of the lessons we had was to tape a cigarette butt to the front of a lens and shoot. Besides cutting down on the light there was not a lot of difference. I still like my lenses clean and scratch free though. Good deal / price then ask if you can shoot a few and check them out on your computer first.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
In normal use maybe it doesn't show too much, but when doing any subject that will be backlit or when the sun or a light source will be shining in the lens, then you probably will get more flare.

crashton

I had a Nikon L37c save a lens for me. Shooting rally cars & a rock struck that filter dead center. Filter died, lens lived. I'm a believer in filters for lens protection. Your mileage may vary. :playful:

jwstl

I had a Nikon L37c save a lens for me. Shooting rally cars & a rock struck that filter dead center. Filter died, lens lived. I'm a believer in filters for lens protection. Your mileage may vary. :playful:

Lens glass is a lot stronger than filter glass so it's possible the lens would have been fine had the rock hit it.