Vermont Bill Proposes Making It Illegal To Photograph Someone Without Permission

Mike150

Thanks Jake
Perhaps it would be better to pass laws preventing all those who video incidents instead of helping. I remember seeing videos of that poor man who was shoved onto the tracks in the subway but everybody videotaped him instead of helping him get off the tracks.

Rexer John

The link says the bill is unofficially dead but if it goes ahead what about CCTV?
A bill like this only helps criminals and suppresses freedom.

Dave_W

The Dude
I'll never happen. Traffic cams, security cams, etc., all too important to modern society. I'm thinking it's one of those attention seeking "bills" that has no chance whatsoever of passing and that clearly infringes upon the 1st amendment since the courts have ruled photography is a form of expression (art). It may also be a poke at the use of drones in police surveillance, something that has people all hot and bothered. Fact is the police can look thru walls (several) and both hear and see what you are doing, so it seems to me the issue of drones is much ado about nothing. :rolleyes:

STM

Just one more example of our "government" not being able to see the forest for the trees. They are all a bunch of village idiots

carguy

I agree, this won't happen. I'll say that the term 'freedom of the press' has grown and overstepped the boundaries years ago...

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

I think Dave is probably correct that it is probably aimed at drones. If that is the case then they should probably write the bill to specifically ban drones and not be so broad.

Thimbl

Actually it could happen. A drivers license would come with a provision allowing law enforcement to do it. You don't agree, no driving for you. But, let's hope it doesn't happen!

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

stmv

I have had people (nosy) pull over,, and tell me I could not photograph an broken down barn from the street. You just have to be polite,, and with some crazies, back away,, and come back another day.

Funny,, when states plaster their images to attract tourist,, and then say you can't photograph!

Happypuppy

I suspect the Police are not too happy about photographers and videographers capturing events. In some case it has cost a significant amount of money in time and lawsuits. That is why I could see it getting some traction. The State wants to capture our images but we can't? Just does not seem fair IMO and further erosion of our rights.