U1/U2 how do you use yours?

Watoh

Hello,

Had my D600 for a week & have yet to use the U1/U2 setting. To be honest I struggling to think how to use this feature, on the reviews prior to buying this seemed to be a very desirable feature, much touted. Clearly I am being uncreative!

Hence I am curious how others are utilising this feature. Obviously I'm aware that it's use is dependent upon how you use your camera. But what settings do you use for U1/U2 and do you constantly alter them.

Thanks for any feedback.

Watoh

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'v never used mine. I just select my settings before doing any shooting. Seems natural since I came from the silver film era. In these old days, you had to select the film speed you'd put in the camera BEFORE the shoot.

VectorZ

I've had mine for 3 months and never used it. I mix my settings up so much even shot to shot I fail to see how it's useful, but I'm all ears!

PapaST

I use a custom setting for my Sigma 150-500 lens. It performs well at f8 and the wildlife I shoot I have it set for auto ISO 200 with a max of 3200. Min shutter of 800. Other settings include continuous focus, spot metering, using all focus points. Having to program that in everytime I want to use that lens is a pain. So I just saved those settings to a custom setting, so whenever I pop on that lens I just select U2 and I'm good to go.

Mfrankfort

I have my U1 for non moving (portrait/landscape) and U2 for moving subjects. Both are set to Manual, and have Single point one shot focusing U1, and Continuous and 3d tracking for U2. Don't really use them much, but that's what I have them set to. haha. Set them up on day 1... haven't used since day 1... lol

Watoh

I have my U1 for non moving (portrait/landscape) and U2 for moving subjects. Both are set to Manual, and have Single point one shot focusing U1, and Continuous and 3d tracking for U2. Don't really use them much, but that's what I have them set to. haha. Set them up on day 1... haven't used since day 1... lol

Funnily enough that is exactly as i have mine.. but am also yet to use it!

Thanks for the feedback, it seems i'm not alone in under utilising these options. Maybe i'll find more use for them in the future.

Cheers.

Mfrankfort

They're really good options if your shooting a spur of the moment thing, and don't have much time to tweak the settings. I found that if I am shooting something with time to set up, I will just use manual and dial in the settings. If it's something where I have to shoot quick, U1/U2 are great options. Obviously depending on what your shooting, they can be set for different things.