Giottos LCD screen protector

Keoki

Have any of you D600ers purchased or checked out the Giottos Aegis M-C Schoot LCD Screen Protector for the D600?
My boyfriend has is on his Canon and his LCD screen is really really clear. I'm wondering if it will improve visibility on the D600 or whether his screen is just plain better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keoki

Sorry, I didn't mean it as a D600 dig. I like my D600 much much more than his Canon!!!!!!! His LCD screen is a lot clearer though. Sorry if I insulted anyone; not my intention.

Horoscope Fish

Sorry, I didn't mean it as a D600 dig. I like my D600 much much more than his Canon!!!!!!! His LCD screen is a lot clearer though. Sorry if I insulted anyone not my intention.
It's entirely possible his Canon does have a better LCD. Have you compared your camera to his, side by side, without screen protectors in place? I would think that would answer your question.

What model Canon is he shooting with?

Mfrankfort

I was kidding, haha. Everyone knows Nikon is better. I kid again, I still have my Canon camera, lol. I agree with Fish though, It depends on the camera. I think Canon puts more into their LCD screens, so the image look better, until you get it on your computer, haha. I haven't used any screen protectors except the stock "glass" one. It couldn't hurt to get one though.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Have any of you D600ers purchased or checked out the Giottos Aegis M-C Schoot LCD Screen Protector for the D600?
My boyfriend has is on his Canon and his LCD screen is really really clear. I'm wondering if it will improve visibility on the D600 or whether his screen is just plain better.

Hi Keoki. It is possible that the Giotto's LCD screen protector will provide clearer screen compared to the stock Nikon screen protector. I looked at the specs from Giotto's and they use "Schott glass" which is similar to the materials used for my lens filters made by B&W (Germany).

I might consider one for my camera. Thanks for sharing this info.

Keoki

My boyfriend has the Canon 7D. I think his LCD protector is permanently affixed. He did say it improved visibility a bit. I don't know anyone else with a Nikon D600 to compare screens with but I'm having a hard time seeing well through mine. I was impressed when I heard the Giotto uses Schott glass. I am a hot glass artist by trade and sometimes get to use Schott in my work. It's awesome!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The problem that I see with the Giotto's is that I have a left dominant eye. This means that I'll be rubbing my nose and face all over that protective screen as I look through the view finder and it will eventually get scratched. Removing the adhesive from the Giotto's protective screen might permanently damage the camera's LCD screen.

Horoscope Fish

My boyfriend has the Canon 7D. I think his LCD protector is permanently affixed. He did say it improved visibility a bit. I don't know anyone else with a Nikon D600 to compare screens with but I'm having a hard time seeing well through mine. I was impressed when I heard the Giotto uses Schott glass. I am a hot glass artist by trade and sometimes get to use Schott in my work. It's awesome!
Hmmmm.... *scratches head*

Well, unless I'm huuugely mistaken both, the Canon 7D and the Nikon D600 have relatively equal resolution in the LCD's as they come from the box (Googling something like "Canon 7D LCD resolution" would confirm this or prove me wrong), so yeah... Not sure what would causing the difference you're seeing. Have you adjusted the "Monitor Brightness" setting in your menus? My D5100 has that option so I'm assuming your D600 will have it as well...

And this from the "Just Out of Curiosity Department" since I work with several glass artists...

Do you blow, cast or fuse (glass)?

((( All of the above??!?!?!?!!????! )))

Keoki

Good point Glenn. I'm left eyed also. I have adjusted the brightness on my screen which helps but my boyfriend's LCD is so far superior to mine I was hoping the Schott glass would make mine as nice and protect the screen as well.
Horoscopefish, to your question, I blow, torchwork, cast and fuse glass. Most of my time is on the torch.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Good point Glenn. I'm left eyed also. I have adjusted the brightness on my screen which helps but my boyfriend's LCD is so far superior to mine I was hoping the Schott glass would make mine as nice and protect the screen as well.
Horoscopefish, to your question, I blow, torchwork, cast and fuse glass. Most of my time is on the torch.

Start comparing final images on the computer monitor. That's when the "envy" from your BF begins especially when viewing images at 100% that includes shadows. ;)

bobonit

The problem that I see with the Giotto's is that I have a left dominant eye. This means that I'll be rubbing my nose and face all over that protective screen as I look through the view finder and it will eventually get scratched. Removing the adhesive from the Giotto's protective screen might permanently damage the camera's LCD screen.

Reading Giotto's website, it states that the screen protector does not touch the LCD at all, it is adhered to the camera's frame around the LCD. But it would still take heating it up with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive in order to remove it.

GeoWes

Wow.... I'm "right eyed" and every time I look in the viewfinder, my nose hits the menu button.:D

Whiskeyman

I know that this thread is over two months old, but after buying a D700 with the Giottos LCD screen protector already on it, I was really impressed. Today, I received the one I ordered for my D90 and installed it tonight and I like it much more than the plastic one that came with the camera: it is much clearer and looks much nicer.

Installation wasn't as easy as I'd hoped, due to my eyesight and limited lighting where I started, but was straightforward after I moved to a different location. I recommend installing this in a very well lighted area. Also, remove the camera lens and replace it with a body cap to ease the installation process.

Overall, I'd purchase this over again and recommend it to any others thinking of buying one.

WM