Clone or original mdb 11

Thunderz2000

Hi guys

Im considering adding a battery grip to my D7K .

There are many clones for the original made by nikon.

Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations before i throw money after a rubbishy one

cheers

Lou

evan447

both my d7000s have the nikon grip. no problems at all apart from needing a bigger bag to put them in.
​now that d7000 prices have dropped so has the price of the grip. its still expensive but the best option by far.

Photo Joe

I don't use battery grips too often, so I decided to take a chance and go for a third party, non-Nikon, grip. I bought the Meike brand grip. It's obviously not as sturdy as the Nikon one, as it's made of plastic and not magnesium alloy, and you have to be delicate with the battery tray tab. Other than that, it works just fine for me and all the buttons function in the correct manner. If you are going to do a lot of portraits and/or have the money, definitely go for the Nikon one.

Lee

both my d7000s have the nikon grip. no problems at all apart from needing a bigger bag to put them in.
​now that d7000 prices have dropped so has the price of the grip. its still expensive but the best option by far.

Having recently upgraded from D90 to D7000, I am having a similar dilemma (I have a genuine nikon grip with the D90) but the one for the D7k is quite a bit more expensive. Aside from build quality, what else would you say persuades you to rather put out for the real thing? I don't use a grip all the time, but I am from the school of thought of "the most expensive item you buy is the one you buy twice" so I am weighing up my options very carefully here.

emoxley

​I've not used a third party grip personally, but have read that the dials work in reverse of the ones on the camera body, on some of them. I don't know which brands they are though. So, I didn't take a chance, and I got the Nikon grip. I like it..................Good luck!

crashton

I am from the school of thought of "the most expensive item you buy is the one you buy twice"

I'm from the same school Lee. With the D7100 just being released there may start to be used MB11 grips around.

As for third party grips, there is one that works correctly. Can't remember the brand, but I'm sure if one searches a bit you'll find which one.

shskr

I read the reviews on amazon so far a few models cheaper version of Nikon (neewer, meike, zeikos) all have their problems.

Sent via Galaxy Tab 2 using tapatalk HD

STM

I have the Nikon grip for my D700 and it never leaves the camera. Even though I have smallish hands I am used to the larger frame and heavier cameras like the F2 with the MD-2/MB-1 and F4S so for me at least the D700 feels perfect with the MB-D10. It actually feels very weird without the grip. It is very robust and works flawlessly. I concur about the most expensive piece of gear is the one you buy twice. Save up a little longer and just go with the Nikon, you won't be disappointed.