HDR with the D3

wud

Do you use that? Its very grey and rainy here today, so just been testing inside.

This is... well, with either 3 or 5 images, I did a lot as I just had to figure out what was happening, so actually I forgot. But doesnt look so HDR'ish to me. Maybe I should have used another aperture, I just went for f/2.

(The pictures are immediately put together in and by the camera, therefore I cannot really see how many pictures/layers.)

blomst2.JPGblomst1.JPG

How do you shoot HDR?

crycocyon

I don't, at least haven't tested it yet, but I think you need a scene with greater differences in light intensity, then you'll see more of an effect. So for example if the flowers were sitting next to a reading lamp. But then again, HDR isn't really about getting that stereotypical HDR look but about using different exposures to expand the effective dynamic range and fill in the missing pieces in the LUT so to speak. That strange HDR look is an artifact of the process and I don't think should be something to strive for necessarily. Just MHO.

wud

I don't, at least haven't tested it yet, but I think you need a scene with greater differences in light intensity, then you'll see more of an effect. So for example if the flowers were sitting next to a reading lamp. But then again, HDR isn't really about getting that stereotypical HDR look but about using different exposures to expand the effective dynamic range and fill in the missing pieces in the LUT so to speak. That strange HDR look is an artifact of the process and I don't think should be something to strive for necessarily. Just MHO.

Your right about bigger contrast. Its SO grey and rainy here, not a cloud in sight, cant wait til I can try this feature outside.

Duke

In shooting aviation, I don't have the opportunity to shoot 3 images. I use software to close that gap, for me. Photomatix 4 Pro, and Nik's HDR Efex Pro. I have both of them, and will use both to compare image look. They both produce great images, but they're different.

My really in a hurry workflow: Create a copy, and export into the HDR program. Re-import and edit.

My want to produce great results Lightroom workflow: Create 2 copies, over expose 1, underexpose the other. Export to HDR application, Save and re-import. Edit. Export.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Do you use that? Its very grey and rainy here today, so just been testing inside.

This is... well, with either 3 or 5 images, I did a lot as I just had to figure out what was happening, so actually I forgot. But doesnt look so HDR'ish to me. Maybe I should have used another aperture, I just went for f/2.

(The pictures are immediately put together in and by the camera, therefore I cannot really see how many pictures/layers.)

View attachment 32594View attachment 32595

How do you shoot HDR?

I really don't understand how you can do HDR in camera… Does anyone know if the D3 has that? Usually, HDR is done with 3 shots but has to be processed in post processing where the different exposures are merged and corrections are applied… Maybe it's something I've missed but what exactly did the camera do I wonder.

AC016

I really don't understand how you can do HDR in camera… Does anyone know if the D3 has that? Usually, HDR is done with 3 shots but has to be processed in post processing where the different exposures are merged and corrections are applied… Maybe it's something I've missed but what exactly did the camera do I wonder.

With the D3, i beleive you have to set up the cameras bracketing to take multiple shots at different exposures.

wud

I choose "multiple exposure", in there I can choose between 2 and 10 shots. Then I manually focus on something, set the +/- to eg. -1 step, take a picture. Set the +/- to another step, change the shutter, take a picture.. And so on, until I have taken say 5 pictures (whatever I set the multiple exposure too).

When I take the last picture, the camera takes a second stacking the pictures and I am left with just 1 picture, even if I took 10.

BUT, Ill say it doesnt really .... do anything. I took a test shot, 3 different exposures and then 1 normal picture, there are hardly any difference.

Maybe I got something wrong. Think I am missing something with bracketing... dont get how I set that up and I cannot find the "auto bracketing" menu.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I choose "multiple exposure", in there I can choose between 2 and 10 shots. Then I manually focus on something, set the +/- to eg. -1 step, take a picture. Set the +/- to another step, change the shutter, take a picture.. And so on, until I have taken say 5 pictures (whatever I set the multiple exposure too).

When I take the last picture, the camera takes a second stacking the pictures and I am left with just 1 picture, even if I took 10.

BUT, Ill say it doesnt really .... do anything. I took a test shot, 3 different exposures and then 1 normal picture, there are hardly any difference.

Maybe I got something wrong. Think I am missing something with bracketing... dont get how I set that up.

You have to open all the different exposures you want to use in either Photoshop, Photomatix, or Nik HDRpro to make the blend between exposures. The camera does nothing.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
No really, it puts the images together!

Take a look at this video:

In-Camera HDR Using Multiple Exposure - YouTube

I'll have a look. So maybe the only link you are missing is the fact that you don't want to be using multiple exposure using the bracketing function. Multiple exposures are NOT for HDR. Multiple exposures is for when you want to make a single image from 2 different images (example: you have a large dark area in one photograph and you want to stick another picture on it). Exposure bracketing is for HDR. What you have to to is to use the function button to be used as bracketing. I can't remember exactly how I did this with my D700, but when I press the function button I can then adjust how many exposures I want and what the different f-stop value is between each shot.

You might have to get your D3 manual out and find out where in the menu you can assign buttons. I even think that the FUNC. button might be set to be bracketing function.
​Have a look at your manual under "bracketing".

wud

I'll have a look. So maybe the only link you are missing is the fact that you don't want to be using multiple exposure using the bracketing function. Multiple exposures are NOT for HDR. Multiple exposures is for when you want to make a single image from 2 different images (example: you have a large dark area in one photograph and you want to stick another picture on it). Exposure bracketing is for HDR. What you have to to is to use the function button to be used as bracketing. I can't remember exactly how I did this with my D700, but when I press the function button I can then adjust how many exposures I want and what the different f-stop value is between each shot.

You might have to get your D3 manual out and find out where in the menu you can assign buttons. I even think that the FUNC. button might be set to be bracketing function.
​Have a look at your manual under "bracketing".

Think you are right. But I dont really get the manual exposure then.. mostly because I didn't really see any changes in the picture, manual exposure vs manual picture.

Well, I did find a lot about bracketing in the camera menu, but where missing the big bottom placed on top of the camera :))) Dooh. I will try that method instead, I think you are right and I just got fooled by someone calling it HDR (the manual exposure).

AC016

Think you are right. But I dont really get the manual exposure then.. mostly because I didn't really see any changes in the picture, manual exposure vs manual picture.

Well, I did find a lot about bracketing in the camera menu, but where missing the big bottom placed on top of the camera :))) Dooh. I will try that method instead, I think you are right and I just got fooled by someone calling it HDR (the manual exposure).

Here is a good link:

HDR on Nikon D3 - Found bracketing button but only get single shot? | AVForums.com - UK Online

wud

Thanks, but its working fine :)

About my last post, i mean multiple exposures, not manual.. Too tired, sorry.

Rexer John

The pictures don't have any strong highlights or dark shadows nevermind blown highlights or lost detail in shadows.

You might as well take a picture of an 18% grey card and HD that.
Joking aside, try doing some shots with a much bigger range of light to dark, aka dynamic range.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Well, you sure can get the same results using manual exposure, but for me, I find it much faster to do it with the bracketing function in aperture mode and manual focus (or auto-focus and then disable auto-focus).

​Good luck.

wud

Well, you sure can get the same results using manual exposure, but for me, I find it much faster to do it with the bracketing function in aperture mode and manual focus (or auto-focus and then disable auto-focus).

​Good luck.

Just had a few test shots indoor yesterday, should white balance be on manual too?

wud

These pictures arent pretty, but I am just learning for now :)

This one - whats going on with the white on the flowers? My guess, its because there were wind blowing or maybe the camera been moved a tiny bit? I made a bad focussing, I know, and please try to ignore the strange grey look I got going on. Think it is too much gamma.

HDRtest.jpg

This is messy. Again some weird grey stuff going on, but dont think its due to gamma, this time? And there are blown out highlights, I couldnt get rid of them?

HDRtest2.JPG