the learning curve - ebi381's photos

ebi381

"Your first ten thousand photographs are your worst" Henri Cartier-Bresson

you know ive never had a camera before. I bought my camera on the 2nd April, I made a folder called "practice shots". Its got 1,216 photos in it already! only 8,784 till I get better...

here is a few up till today.

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0636.jpg

DSC_0592.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

DSC_1316.jpg

DSC_1305.jpg

DSC_1091.jpg

DSC_1321.jpg

DSC_1569.jpg

lights.jpg

DSC_1714.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_1897.jpg

DSC_1084.jpg

DSC_1978.jpg

mk6.jpg

Dave_W

The Dude
Nice!! There's some really good shots in your mix. For someone who has never held a camera before, I'd say you're off to a great start!

Great start. Only one small suggestion. On the people shots especially don't put the subject face in the middle of the shot. You end up with a lot a blank space above the head.

ebi381

there was some more lake and trees poking in the side and bottom. it was essentially a 50/50 sky water shot. i'll post it tomorrow since i didnt upload that onto my photobucket and its on my desktop.

there was some more lake and trees poking in the side and bottom. it was essentially a 50/50 sky water shot. i'll post it tomorrow since i didnt upload that onto my photobucket and its on my desktop.

Since your post is called "the learning curve" it is always interesting to see what your thinking is on a picture like this. It also shows others what a little post processing like the proper crop can do for a photo. So many so so photos can be turned into good photos by just the right crop.

ebi381

so this is the un-cropped version.

i really just removed the loch because to me it didnt really have much going on. no good reflections or currents etc. i liked the clouds so i made them the main feature.

here is another one with two variations and the original. what do you think? did i crop too much? have i made the bridge too dark?

ORIGINAL

dark bridge

dark tunnels only

wud

Very nice pictures some of them! A lot, actually.

On portraits, you often place the person on one side of the picture, to make the person look less flat. There are of course more to it - one thing is if you can balance the whole composition with other stuff in the picture. Try to google compositions portraits, or something like that. Golden ratio are also worth reading about.

Can you see a difference:

testportrait2.JPG

ebi381

Very nice pictures some of them! A lot, actually.

On portraits, you often place the person on one side of the picture, to make the person look less flat. There are of course more to it - one thing is if you can balance the whole composition with other stuff in the picture. Try to google compositions portraits, or something like that. Golden ratio are also worth reading about.

Can you see a difference:

View attachment 32804

yeah i see the difference. i havent ever done portraits so i'll have to look into it more. like i said this is the first time ive ever had a camera so all of these shots and edits are without any guidance or research. thanks for the tips thought i'll look into it.

ebi381

here is a night shot. unfortunately it started raining 5 mins in so i rushed a few photos and they all turned out pretty crap. this is the only one that was semi alright.

piperbarb

so this is the un-cropped version.

i really just removed the loch because to me it didnt really have much going on. no good reflections or currents etc. i liked the clouds so i made them the main feature.

here is another one with two variations and the original. what do you think? did i crop too much? have i made the bridge too dark?

ORIGINAL

dark bridge

dark tunnels only
I like the first of the bridge photos. It tells a story. I think the shoreline and river are necessary. I also like that the viewer can see through the arches. It gives it greater depth. Just my opinion. Don't feel that you have to do all sorts of post-processing of every image. There are times that less is more. The only way you learn is to try, and to get feedback.