Sigma 12-24mm f/4-5,6 on full frame or another one?

wud

Been looking a lot at wide angels, I soooooo want one. Right now I am pretty hooked on this 12-24mm lens. Anyone who have it and use it on full frame? Are you happy with it?

I of course looked at pixel-peeper, think the pictures looks amazing: Advanced Search

My only worry are the aperture. Will I miss a lower aperture?? I am in love with f/4, use it all the time.

Does anyone have other suggestions for a nice wide angels, I prefer zoom, which can be found more or less in that pricerange? New or used doesn't matter.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
That lens is not made for FX. Some people say it would work above 18mm, but the corners will be vignetted and not so sharp. The real wides for FX are the 16-35 f4 VR, 14-24 2.8, 17-35 2.8 and the Tokina 16-28 2.8.

wud

That lens is not made for FX. Some people say it would work above 18mm, but the corners will be vignetted and not so sharp. The real wides for FX are the 16-35 f4 VR, 14-24 2.8, 17-35 2.8 and the Tokina 16-28 2.8.

Typing error, its called f/4.5-5.6: Sigma AF 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 II EX DG HSM Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Lenses Full Frame AF1224HN - Vistek Canada Product Detail

Its for full frame. Did you look at the link i posted? Its pictures taken with D3 and the 12-24mm lens.

stmv

Yes,, this is an interesting lens. a very old design, but FX compatible. and for the price,, perhaps a bargain.

This generation of Sigma lens are built pretty nicely, not going to match the 14-24 in build, but it is quite compact for what it is.

I like the way sigma zooms produce pictures. Each company is different, perhaps due to their lens coating formulas, and sigma produces a nice look.

I have come close a couple of times of purchasing this lens. used, but I think I would be more tempted to buy new now.

here is a deal:

Sigma 12 24mm F 4 5 5 6 EX DG HSM AF Lens for Nikon SLR 085126200558 | eBay

brand new! for 794 dollars..

Heck at that price, you could try it out,, and resell it for 700 dollars. cheaper then renting.

darn,,, if had had not just paid the tax man,, I would be tempted to buy that myself.

really comes down to really really really wide,, versus

less wide, more expensive (way more) Nikkor 16-35,, or way way more expensive 14-24, or even more wide not any faster 18-35.

or this ultra fun wide angle for 750 dollars! NEW. cool.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Typing error, its called f/4.5-5.6: Sigma AF 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 II EX DG HSM Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon DSLR Lenses Full Frame AF1224HN - Vistek Canada Product Detail

Its for full frame. Did you look at the link i posted? Its pictures taken with D3 and the 12-24mm lens.

I've tried it before in 2011 during the Camera expo here in Japan. It is pretty wide zoom lens and a good value. I went with the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII though.

D700, @12mm, f4.5, 1/100, ISO 200

Sigma_12-24mm_f4_5-5_6.jpg

wud

Yes,, this is an interesting lens. a very old design, but FX compatible. and for the price,, perhaps a bargain.

This generation of Sigma lens are built pretty nicely, not going to match the 14-24 in build, but it is quite compact for what it is.

I like the way sigma zooms produce pictures. Each company is different, perhaps due to their lens coating formulas, and sigma produces a nice look.

I have come close a couple of times of purchasing this lens. used, but I think I would be more tempted to buy new now.

here is a deal:

Sigma 12 24mm F 4 5 5 6 EX DG HSM AF Lens for Nikon SLR 085126200558 | eBay

brand new! for 749 dollars..

Heck at that price, you could try it out,, and resell it for 700 dollars. cheaper then renting.

darn,,, if had had not just paid the tax man,, I would be tempted to buy that myself.

really comes down to really really really wide,, versus

less wide, more expensive (way more) Nikkor 16-35,, or way way more expensive 14-24, or even more wide not any faster 18-35.

or this ultra fun wide angle for 750 dollars! NEW. cool.

Thanks for input :) The price you found is almost same prices as in a store in my country, its 350$ in difference on a used on. I am still hooked on this lens! If I'm gonna try wide, might as well go really wide, if I dont like/use the 12-14mm there is still the 16-24mm to play around with.

But think I will loooove 12-14mm.