Real time monitor on LCD

NikUser

Hi,

I'm a new D5200 user. Well, I'm a new DSLR user in fact. I noticed that when I change settings for my exposure, the LCD does not show the actual exposure of the picture I'm taking. My sony camera shows how the picture will actually look like when I adjust my settings. For example, if it the picture will turn dark on my current camera settings, the image on the LCD will also shows dark. Is this normal? Sorry, as I said I'm a new user. Thank you.

Horoscope Fish

I'm a new D5200 user. Well, I'm a new DSLR user in fact. I noticed that when I change settings for my exposure, the LCD does not show the actual exposure of the picture I'm taking. My sony camera shows how the picture will actually look like when I adjust my settings. For example, if it the picture will turn dark on my current camera settings, the image on the LCD will also shows dark. Is this normal? Sorry, as I said I'm a new user. Thank you.
Couple things that might help... First, there is a monitor display adjustment in your menu, "Monitor Brightness" I think it's labeled. My 5100 needed a minor tweak so the LCD would more closely match the exposure I was getting, so trying that adjustment should probably be Step 1. This was a pretty minor tweak for me, though, and if the what the LCD is showing you vs. the actual exposure is WAY out of line then I think you may have a deeper problem because your assumption is correct: the LCD should be giving you a pretty accurate idea of how your shot is going to turn out.

The other thing you might want to consider is using the histogram. If you don't know how to read histograms you can Google it and have the basic concepts down well enough with probably ten minutes spent reading about them. They ain't rocket science and they're not something to live and die by, but they are very good tool to have in the camera bag between your ears.

NikUser

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I checked again and I really can't use the LCD to see the actual picture. All I can use is the metering function of the camera. Is there a setting to turn this on? or do I really have a big problem with my new Nikon D5200? Can anyone with the same camera confirm this? Thank you.

Horoscope Fish

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I checked again and I really can't use the LCD to see the actual picture. All I can use is the metering function of the camera. Is there a setting to turn this on? or do I really have a big problem with my new Nikon D5200? Can anyone with the same camera confirm this? Thank you.
Okay now I'm confused. Are you saying you when you take a picture with your 5200 you don't get a "preview" on the back and/or you can not scroll through the pictures you've taken?

Two other questions:

1. Have you read your manual?
2. Are you pressing the "Play" button (see pic)?

Attachments

• D5200 Back.jpg
    D5200 Back.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 309

konie

I had the same problem....go into the menu and then your shooting settings and then to Movie settings....manual movie settings has to be ON....you will then be able to see the changes on the LCD screen when you adjust the exposure.

I think he may be trying to see the image on the LCD panel while he is setting up to shoot like a P&S camera. Have you tried shooting in LIVE MODE? That turns on the LCD panel for setup and you will be able to see the effects of the settings. Otherwise just use the viewfinder and then shoot and the shot will then show up on the LCD panel for a set number of seconds the is set by the menu.

NikUser

I had the same problem....go into the menu and then your shooting settings and then to Movie settings....manual movie settings has to be ON....you will then be able to see the changes on the LCD screen when you adjust the exposure.

Thank you very much. Sorry I was seldom online lately. I will try this later and let you know.

NikUser

I think he may be trying to see the image on the LCD panel while he is setting up to shoot like a P&S camera. Have you tried shooting in LIVE MODE? That turns on the LCD panel for setup and you will be able to see the effects of the settings. Otherwise just use the viewfinder and then shoot and the shot will then show up on the LCD panel for a set number of seconds the is set by the menu.

Yes I was in Live View mode when I'm trying to see the changes in the LCD as I adjust the exposure. Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it. Have a nice day.

NikUser

Okay now I'm confused. Are you saying you when you take a picture with your 5200 you don't get a "preview" on the back and/or you can not scroll through the pictures you've taken?

Two other questions:

1. Have you read your manual?
2. Are you pressing the "Play" button (see pic)?

Thank you for your help. Yes I know how to preview the shots. I just need to see the LCD changes to the actual exposure as I adjust the settings when I'm about to take the picture. Thanks.

NikUser

This worked perfectly. Thank you konie for the wonderful tip. I really appreciate your help.