Primes Primes!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Sigma primes are surprisingly good especially with their bokeh. The new Sigma 24mm f1.8 is a screw drive only and is designed for full frame cameras but will work with some select DX cameras (auto focus wise). I'm sure the Nikon lenses might be slightly sharper on corners but in real world practice, they are very much acceptable.

Sigma 85mm f1.4 and 24mm f1.8 lenses by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Size comparison

Primes by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Sample image using the Sigma 24mm f1.8 lens :devilish:

Sigma 24mm f1.8 Iris by gqtuazon, on Flickr

stmv

nice, sigma has made some fine primes for years, My 24 mm is actually an old sigma manal prime,,, and they were nice back then too!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
We need something great at 20mm or below!

Rick - You'll be getting your 18-35mm lens soon. ;)

nice, sigma has made some fine primes for years, My 24 mm is actually an old sigma manal prime,,, and they were nice back then too!

I saw the advertised lenses from BH and Adorama. It looks like the older model lenses have a different finish. Some were reported peeling off.

Eye-level

Banned
I've been jumping up and down on the stump about the old Sigma 24 for about a year or so now thank you very much...you can bet your @ss they are sharp enough in the "real" world!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've been jumping up and down on the stump about the old Sigma 24 for about a year or so now thank you very much...you can bet your @ss they are sharp enough in the "real" world!

Jeff - the good thing for you is that it has an aperture ring and can work with your film camera.

Eye-level

Banned
I sold my film camera sir! :)

All digital now almost except for my space camera rangefinder.

Sigma is bad to the bone...

​For example the Sigma DP2M...

Rick M

Rick - You'll be getting your 18-35mm lens soon. ;)

I saw the advertised lenses from BH and Adorama. It looks like the older model lenses have a different finish. Some were reported peeling off.

Only if a great prime doesn't come out! If I get it, it will be to hold me over until the 18mm 1.8g.

Rick M

Too bad the Zeiss 18mm does not live up to it's price like the 21mm. I may have to consider the Zeiss 21mm, but I really want 18mm.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Too bad the Zeiss 18mm does not live up to it's price like the 21mm. I may have to consider the Zeiss 21mm, but I really want 18mm.

​Rick, why don't you have a look at the Samyang 14? I know it's not Nikon, but for the price… I'm just saying.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
​Rick, why don't you have a look at the Samyang 14? I know it's not Nikon, but for the price… I'm just saying.

I was going to suggest the same thing. You just need to be a little careful since you will be dealing with distortion as you go wider.

Rick M

Holding out, not going to buy something I'll want to replace. The Zeiss 21 is starting to call me, but thats a lot of pennies! Come on Nikon, give us a new wide prime :)

§am

I'm a little almost torn now....
​Do I look into the 24mm f/1.8 Sigma or stay on course and save for my 28mm f/1.8G Nikon :(