So what do you think of the D700?

Incubate

We're in the process of planning to purchase some new gear and the D700 interests me as a backup to our D800's. So what do guys thinks of the camera from a stills and video point of view?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The D700 does NOT do video. For stills, it has been Nikon's best DSLR for a few years and it still can produce amazing quality images. It's amazing in low light high iso and has something special when used for portraits. I can't describe it, but it just shines. And small files too!

theregsy

I agree with Marcel, its by far and away the best camera I have ever owned (its also the newest and most expensive even 2nd hand) but the results are brilliant, I don't know how big you would have to go to notice any drop off in quality (I would guess bigger than A3) but it really is everything I need in a camera.

stmv

ok,, are you asking about the D7000? and not the D700, I agree with the responses above for the D700, but if the question is on the D7000, then I say the D7000 will compliment your D800 for Photo quality and Video ability. The 7000 has dual slot like your D800, tough build.

You might consider the 7100 instead for a few more hundred, but I understand the Video is improved even more, plus like the 800 has the 51 point of focus,

so,, the 7100 is kinda like the small brother of the 800.

I own the 7000, 700 and 800,, I tend to use the 800 and 7000 more then the 700.

not to knock the 700, capaple camera, and produces wonderful still images.

STM

Solid as a rock, a real workhorse. I have the MB-D10 on it all the time. It has the feel of the older Nikon film cameras. And they can be found used for very good prices now.

Bukitimah

Just to add in the fun. The D700 goes around USD1200 pre-owned while the D7000 around USD700 preowned. I am not too happy with the low light performance of my D300. Would any of the 2 camera do better with the 70-300 VR under low light?

The D3 is going around USD2000 pre-owned now. Instead of investing on lens, would a camera upgrade solve it?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Just to add in the fun. The D700 goes around USD1200 pre-owned while the D7000 around USD700 preowned. I am not too happy with the low light performance of my D300. Would any of the 2 camera do better with the 70-300 VR under low light?

The D3 is going around USD2000 pre-owned now. Instead of investing on lens, would a camera upgrade solve it?

​the D700 is a lot better in low light than the D7000. It's a fantastic camera and the controls are the same as your D300.