Interesting read on DX vs. FX for wildlife and sports

RockyNH_RIP

Good Reason.. I am originally from Detroit and as a Tiger fan, had no use for Yankee's!! Now in New England, home of the Red Sox... even less!! :)

Pat in NH

STM

The bottom line I guess is whatever works for you is what you should go with. Both have their pros and cons.

For me there was never any question as to which of the two I was going to use. I had no desire to get any more lenses than the dozen Nikkors I already had and the thought of my 20mm Nikkor turning into a 30mm Nikkor was not something I was willing to entertain when it came to my widest wideangle lens. That was the single overriding reason why I never even considered DX. That, and the fact that Nikon did not make a DX camera built to the same robustness standards I was used to with my film cameras.

RockyNH_RIP

The bottom line I guess is whatever works for you is what you should go with. Both have their pros and cons.

For me there was never any question as to which of the two I was going to use. I had no desire to get any more lenses than the dozen Nikkors I already had and the thought of my 20mm Nikkor turning into a 30mm Nikkor was not something I was willing to entertain when it came to my widest wideangle lens. That was the single overriding reason why I never even considered DX. That, and the fact that Nikon did not make a DX camera built to the same robustness standards I was used to with my film cameras.

That all makes sense Scott... When I started out in September of 2012.. I did not even know how well I was gonna like it or how active I would be. I had not done any serious photography since the late 70's and for the last bunch of years, digital P&S. I did want to "over" spend and then not use it (or the features I spent for) so after a couple months of research, I pulled the plug on my D5100.

I do not regret it either... I do lust a little after a 7000 (and did when I bought the 5100) but at that time, I could not justify the cost difference... Now, well a monster has been created, I am wanting to learn more everyday... I shoot lots of photos of various types..... and now am looking at possibly a macro and and a ultra wide (18-55) is my widest.

Will I ever go FX, not likely at my age... but someday maybe an upgraded DX... In the meantime, I am pleased with my shots, I believe I have improved since I got started in September, and there is still much more room to improve and learn with my current DX equipment!

Most important, I am having FUN!

Pat in NH

ps: if I had one regret, its that I did not do this 10 years ago!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That all makes sense Scott... When I started out in September of 2012.. I did not even know how well I was gonna like it or how active I would be. I had not done any serious photography since the late 70's and for the last bunch of years, digital P&S. I did want to "over" spend and then not use it (or the features I spent for) so after a couple months of research, I pulled the plug on my D5100.

I do not regret it either... I do lust a little after a 7000 (and did when I bought the 5100) but at that time, I could not justify the cost difference... Now, well a monster has been created, I am wanting to learn more everyday... I shoot lots of photos of various types..... and now am looking at possibly a macro and and a ultra wide (18-55) is my widest.

Will I ever go FX, not likely at my age... but someday maybe an upgraded DX... In the meantime, I am pleased with my shots, I believe I have improved since I got started in September, and there is still much more room to improve and learn with my current DX equipment!

Most important, I am having FUN!

Pat in NH

ps: if I had one regret, its that I did not do this 10 years ago!

Hi Pat. Just about everyone here and once you get hooked with photography, it is normal to crave for something better. My gear acquisition has been painfully long in the beginning since I also use to say the same thing that this camera or lens are too expensive and that there is no way that I'm going to pay for that. Several years later, and after trying other cheaper lenses, I ended up selling them once I've tried the pro lenses from Nikon.

I don't make any money with my equipment except for some contests that I rarely join every now and then. I know my skills have improved significantly since I first started. This is just my hobby and its my channel to relax and enjoy my hobby. My cousin who have been a longer and better photographer than I, used to say: "Where there is beauty, we capture it. Where there is none, we create it."

RockyNH_RIP

Hi Pat. Just about everyone here and once you get hooked with photography, it is normal to crave for something better. My gear acquisition has been painfully long in the beginning since I also use to say the same thing that this camera or lens are too expensive and that there is no way that I'm going to pay for that. Several years later, and after trying other cheaper lenses, I ended up selling them once I've tried the pro lenses from Nikon.

I don't make any money with my equipment except for some contests that I rarely join every now and then. I know my skills have improved significantly since I first started. This is just my hobby and its my channel to relax and enjoy my hobby. My cousin who have been a longer and better photographer than I, used to say: "Where there is beauty, we capture it. Where there is none, we create it."

Glenn, thanks for your insight... you have surely been around a lot longer than I have!! :)
I especially like your cousin's quote!!

Pat in NH

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My wife and I are currently traveling and I have both my D300 and V1 with me. I told her that I'd jump if/when a D400 is announced because I'm very happy with my DX lenses - especially my 17-55mm. I don't see the need to move to FX because I would want to buy equivalent lenses. After using the V1 exclusively for a couple days on this trip, I actually told her that if micro 4/3'rds keeps moving as it is I could see the D400 being my last full-sized DSLR.

SilanTra ZaiDi

very good article.... IMHO, both camps have their own pros and cons, ..and as a DX shooter, i always fancy and dream of having FX camera one day ... but i never feel DX is better than FX.... FX still the best... but DX is still the best from its own way.. many people made lots of money from a DX model..as well as the pros with their FX... so both camps win...all of them are the best....

but i didnt agree with the author's view of the future of DX... judging from the number of entry level DSLR that Nikon (As well as Canon) made, i think DX is still have a good future.... nah..its just my 2 cents....

Zaidi

BackdoorArts

I don't think DX will ever go away. I am with Nasim 100% when he talks about Nikon shirking on features that could be easily changed on some cameras to prevent cannibalisation of their other lines. The real question to their future lies in the DX-Pro realm - will Nikon (or Canon) ever stop offering a real pro DX camera (i.e. one that qualifies you for their professional organization)? If the D400 comes out I can't imagine Nikon ever producing another pro DX model after that, for many of the reasons stated (i.e. shooting the jam-packed, and getting more affordable FX cameras in DX). It was that precise logic that made me skip the D7100 and pay for the D800, and I am thrilled I did. I have not invested in DX-specific glass knowing that one day I'd move up, so that helped.

DX will always make for a great, affordable entry into the DSLR hobby, and for most people they'll never need more. For the serious amateur and aspiring pro I think it will lose relevancy over time - though you'll always have your diehards.