Having trouble with flash sync above 320..

eurotrash

So I'm trying to unlock the secret to syncing my SB6oo at over 320 on my D7k. I can't seem to make it go over 320. I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing something as it should obviously be working..

I have my e1 Flash Sync Speed set to 1/320* (Auto FP) and my e2 Flash Shutter Speed set to 1/60th. e3 Flash cntrl for build in flash still set to TTL.

Am I missing something here? Right now, the flash won't even fire, something I've never encountered before..

eurotrash

Basically, I just want to be able to stick the 600 on my camera and when I turn it on, have the TTL take care of all flash related decisions for me if that's possible...and also be able to operate and produce fill flash when my shutter speed is say, 1/500th or higher.

Last edited:

nickt

Are you in mode P or A? I don't think it works in S or M.

edit: now I am confused, lol. I thought I had this figured out last week. Now I'm home with camera in hand. My flash is definitely firing. I see yours is not firing at all, so I don't know. And I am able to set a high shutter speed is S mode, even though I thought I read in the manual that it shouldn't work. I have to play with this some more and get this figured out.

Last edited:

eurotrash

ok, ok. I'm stupid. I had the flash set to commander mode on the SB600. Everything works fine now. Derp..

Just had a 30 year old 'senior moment'. This isn't a good premonition of things to come :p

The manual says it won't work, and I assume it's referring to the on-camera flash.
Assuming that said flash is High Speed Sync compatible, you can get all the way up to 1/8000th with it.

Here's the part I get confused about: The on-board flash won't do greater than 1/320th. I am not certain if that means that it also won't trigger a remote flash for more than 1/320th or not?

Someone more knowledgeable can chime in and correct me because I'm not sure on that as I've never actually tried to do that before..

Last edited:

WayneF

Here's the part I get confused about: The on-board flash won't do greater than 1/320th. I am not certain if that means that it also won't trigger a remote flash for more than 1/320th or not?

Yes, it will. The camera internal flash cannot do FP flash mode itself, so if it is activated in the commander menu, then the shutter speed will not go above what it can do.

But if you set the Mode of the built-in flash group to be off ("- -" mode) in the commander menu, then it is out of the picture. It still flashes commander commands before the shutter opens, and still commands remotes in FP mode at any shutter speed. It just cannot do it itself.