Newbie - starting with D600, 85 1.8g & Sigma 35 1.4g

RyanJ7

I just bought the 85mm 1.8g when they had the discounts. Soon to be picking up the D600. I am thinking of just starting out with a couple quality primes and no zooms.

I have a baby on the way. So most of the shots will be of him and my wife. Also I live in the city and will probably do some street photos.

So I am trying to get some feedback. Do you think that I will be ok with just 2 fast primes?

My other option is to get the nikon 24-120 f4 for versatility instead of the Sigma 35 1.4??

But I am thinking (hoping) that I can cover most of what I would do with the 35mm & the 85mm and (foot zooming) and not even deal with slower lenses.

crycocyon

I'm a fan of primes so yes I think a 35 and 85 would be a great combination for high quality portrait/candid work. Although it really depends on how comfortable you are switching lenses. The D600 takes great images in low light with higher ISOs plus it has a built-in flash so you would really do fine with the 24-120 f4 for everyday quick shots and use the 85 for more serious portraits. That way you wouldn't be switching back and forth between the 35 and 85 so often. Plus I would prefer a Nikon zoom over a Sigma prime just from a quality standpoint. For the Sigma to perform as well as the Nikon at f4, you would probably have to stop down to f4 anyway to see really good image quality so it sort of defeats the purpose of having the fast lens.

jwstl

I'm a fan of primes so yes I think a 35 and 85 would be a great combination for high quality portrait/candid work. Although it really depends on how comfortable you are switching lenses. The D600 takes great images in low light with higher ISOs plus it has a built-in flash so you would really do fine with the 24-120 f4 for everyday quick shots and use the 85 for more serious portraits. That way you wouldn't be switching back and forth between the 35 and 85 so often. Plus I would prefer a Nikon zoom over a Sigma prime just from a quality standpoint. For the Sigma to perform as well as the Nikon at f4, you would probably have to stop down to f4 anyway to see really good image quality so it sort of defeats the purpose of having the fast lens.

I have the Sigma 35 1.4 and the Nikon 24-120 and the Sigma is better at every aperture. Sure the Nikon beats it on convenience but the Sigma is the better lens by a mile. And it's very well built, as good or better than the Nikon 24-120. There's a reason pros are buying the Sigma to use on the D800/E; it's one of the best lenses made. From the DxO review:

Sigma has stated previously that it was upping its game with new pro-level lens designs and the new 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM is not only on a par with OEM lenses optically it surpasses them in most areas, especially in both acutance and resolution. It’s lens that’s designed not only for the very best of today’s sensors but it appears well suited to handle the demands of the next generation of high-resolution imaging chips. The lens sets a new benchmark for optical performance for a retro-focus lens in this focal length and it’s a feat that’s even more remarkable given the price is well-below that of any of the big name brands.

RyanJ7

Sounds like a good combo to start out with, you may want something a bit wider down the road.

Yes down the road, I plan to pick up the Samyang 14mm f2.8 for the most dramatic effect. :)

Decision time will be in about 1 week on the Sigma vs zoom. I am mostly concerned about since I am a newb. learning the camera with only primes. Some people think this is a good thing and others not so much.

Rick M

Yes down the road, I plan to pick up the Samyang 14mm f2.8 for the most dramatic effect. :)

Decision time will be in about 1 week on the Sigma vs zoom. I am mostly concerned about since I am a newb. learning the camera with only primes. Some people think this is a good thing and others not so much.

The razor thin DoF of the 1.4 will take some getting used to.

Puzz1e

Banned
Great combination of camera and lenses mate! Definitely go with the primes. I used solely a 50mm for about 2 years straight. The 35/85 combination gives you lots of options and an extra few stops of light and more creative options s regarding depth of field.

Shooting at 1.4 and 1.8 is a challenge though. My recommendation is to really get to know your primes well. Know what the picture will look like before you even pick up the camera...this will help a lot. I am almost zen-like with my 50mm field of view/composition now, but it took a lot of practice.

If you are not in a high pressure environment, primes all the way!