D300s and sports

imnunky

Eduard- Ranie thank you for your input, I am just trying to get some kind of feed back into what camera to go to from D90 To either the D300s or D7000, it would seem as though sports is my chosen gig

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
What type of sports are you shooting? Outdoor slow moving during daylight versus indoor fast moving is hugely different as far as which camera body will give you the best opportunity to capture the images you want.

imnunky

As it happens I haven't started yet but, outdoor soccer, after noon games, cold and wet, indoor Hockey under what ever lights they have on and cold

fotojack

I would have to agree with Ranie. The D300s for sure. But also, faster glass is definately a good way to go, too, as Eduard has stated.

imnunky

Ranie and Fotojack, Thank you for your feedback much appreciated, fast glass 70-200 2.8 vr is just a tad out of my budget, I have just acquired a 80-200 2.8D used, I am hoping that this will achieve some decent results, I am now searching for a D300s thank you once again, I am bowing to your knowledge and expertise

Ranie

Your welcome

The 80-200 is a very good piece of glass. When your shooting outdoors, you wont miss the VR of the 70-200. Unlike the 70-200 VR, the 80-200 is not weather sealed, so be prepared to have some weather protection over the lens.

imnunky

Oh dear I did not give weather sealer a thought, Oops, Oh well I guess it's plastic bag'in it for me, then again I might get lucky and hit a dry spell, ( weather wise I mean) this sure is one mind boggling hobby, Thank you again

six2one

i have a 300s and i shoot sports. if your glass is sealed w/ an ass gasket then you dont really have to worry, ive been in complete downpours and not given it a 2nd thought. its sealed REAL good. i also use the armor bodies case. i consider this the toughest crop sensor dslr on the market at this time.

if you want samples of soccer and such (in the dry and the wet) then let me know and ill post examples.

imnunky

six2one: My 80-200 does not have any gasket, so I am having to be more vigilant over weather conditions, That would be great to post your examples so we all can see, It would also be great if you would let us know what gear you use, (in your Profile) us amateur's are always looking to learn more, Thank you, Oh yes a belated welcome to Nikonites

six2one

six2one: My 80-200 does not have any gasket, so I am having to be more vigilant over weather conditions, That would be great to post your examples so we all can see, It would also be great if you would let us know what gear you use, (in your Profile) us amateur's are always looking to learn more, Thank you, Oh yes a belated welcome to Nikonites

haha, i am definitely an amateur. i updated some of my profile as well.

honestly, dont take pictures vertically and you should be ok for the most part. i would trust the 80-200 in more of a downpour than my 28-300 most likely. ive been in some serious rain, so serious that ez-up tents were collapsing under the weight of the water.

here is a pic, doesnt look bad but my 300s is absolutely soaked...handled it like a champ!
1033962233_5Ly8x-L.jpg

this is my track setup
976321430_kHcHb-L.jpg

this last saturday i was taking pics at my little bros soccer game, i am new to shooting soccer...so my composure isnt the best yet....but my 28-300 got a nice workout.

it was wet and freezing most of the day. fyi, ken rockwell might shit on lens hoods, but they do wonders for keeping rain off the front element when its raining horizontal to you.

here are a few...

1031147858_iBunj-XL.jpg

this is a terrible shot (focus) but when you take pics of soccer it looks like dance fighting
1031137756_L6f4n-XL.jpg

1031414208_HkzGr-XL.jpg

yea, lol...i prefer shooting motorcycles instead...soccer is kinda queer sometimes
1031347717_WB5G5-XL.jpg

this is more of my element. and in case anyone was wondering, this was taken w/ the 70-300
957392614_2jicn-XL.jpg

here is one more for posterity
957094574_tLN2Q-XL.jpg

Last edited:

imnunky

great captures from an amateurs point of view, I cannot quite make out what extender you have on your Track set up, My 70-300 is not weather proofed and my 80-400vr is too slow, for any thing over 3 miles per hour haha, thanks for the uploads and gear info

six2one

great captures from an amateurs point of view, I cannot quite make out what extender you have on your Track set up, My 70-300 is not weather proofed and my 80-400vr is too slow, for any thing over 3 miles per hour haha, thanks for the uploads and gear info

i am using the 1.7x TCII on the 70-200

fotojack

Hey six....nice shots of the bikes, man. That's my thing, too. Being a corner marshall at our local track really helps, too. :)

johnwartjr

I shot the 80-200 2.8 with film a lot, and it's a great lens. It doesn't focus as fast as the 70-200 VR or VRII do, but it's a great lens at a great price!

You'll do great with it :)

imnunky

I shot the 80-200 2.8 with film a lot, and it's a great lens. It doesn't focus as fast as the 70-200 VR or VRII do, but it's a great lens at a great price!

You'll do great with it :)

John :- right now the 80-200 is the fastest I have, and the 70-200 used is a little out of my budget especially as I am looking at purchasing another camera, used of course but thank you for your positive views, that alone helps alot

jcottone45

Hi guys my name is Joe & I own a D300s and am inclined to agree with you, but my brother owns a D90 & let me tell you the pics he took of the Blue Angels recently were every bit as good as the pics the pros published, so my only thought is that maybe its because of the 51 AF points, though I am not sure.