Nikkor AI-S what "gives"

Morten Beta

Hello,

I am looking for someone techically inclined.

I was taking off the UV filters from my AI-S lenses to clean out dust, and some of them were well on there. I noticed some budging further down in the lens case. So I "screwed" it back (1-2 mm) and I ended up using a rubbery cord to hold the lens case while unscrewing the filter — worked fine.

Now my question is... what was that budging, what gave further down, is the housing screwed in? I am the paranoid type and fear that I might have caused damage to the lens. I know that AI-S are old stuff, but I am hoping someone will have some old school engineering knowledge.

By the way, the lenses seem to work all right.

Last edited by a moderator:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Since this is a photography forum, maybe a picture will be able to explain it better. Do you mind uploading a close up picture?

But the more important part is welcome to the forum.

Akiviri

Hmm .. well - first welcome to the forum. Second - what lenses? Third where exactly were you holding said lens when it moved? Yes - pics might help but any info would be a good start. Info + Pics would be a winner I think.

stmv

Do you Mean Bulging? not sure what is the condition you are describing, the old manual AIS lens are tough, and solid metal, so, they really can't bulge. the can telescope out, and yes, you do need to be careful removing filters, to not stress the focus mechanisms. sounds like you are ok, if it still focuses, rotates smoothly, I doupt that you harmed any lens.

crycocyon

Maybe you shifted the focus grip slightly so that it lost adhesion with the metal housing but it is hard to say without a pic.

Morten Beta

Here is an illustration of what I mean.

Just to be clear I mean budging not bulging. As in giving in slightly.

The feeling I get is that the main cylinder is screwed in place/together somewhere further down in the casing of the lens, and is comming undone, as I turn the filter (can be screwed back tight though). My worrie is that I will shift the focus by accident. Maybe my fear is unnecessary. I am just hoping someone can confirm either or.

Thanks for your replies.
optik.jpg

LouCioccio

I had a lens (TLR twin lens) that the front unscrewed out when the filter was stuck. I was able to get the filter off and screwed the front element back in. Everything seemed fine images were still sharp. I would imagine that is what happened.
You might want to email venders like KEH (attn: repair) and tell them what happen; I am sure they would give you an honest answer. Those threads are very fine.

Ciao,
​Lou Cioccio