D7000 Questions. Debating Between D5100 vs D7000

What camera should I get?

• D5100 for $300

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Corey @ Faymus Media

I have a D800E and I am saving for a D4 and I was thinking about the D5100 simply for my YouTube videos, however, in order to prevent the auto exposure from adjusting while recording, I have to lock the exposure. Also, the ISO seems it cannot be changed in video either, so I basically would need to lock the exposure and then that's it.

Does the D7000 allow me to change the ISO in video? Also, does it have that annoying auto exposure or is it like the D800, and D4 where I have full control?

I found a D7000 for $529.99 and a D5100 for $300.00.

Is it worth the extra $229? I would love to have a 2nd backup camera for photos as the D5100 has nice images; its not rugged and is missing features.

The only thing I love is the flip screen. However, I would love something that can hold the fort for nice photos until I grab the D4.

My needs for video are just my YouTube channel however. It could serve as a nice backup for video at weddings.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

crycocyon

Saving up for a D4 huh? Hmmm. I really want one too but sheesh it is pricey even for second hand ones on Ebay. I'd rather sink money into more lenses or a D800e.

Corey @ Faymus Media

Saving up for a D4 huh? Hmmm. I really want one too but sheesh it is pricey even for second hand ones on Ebay. I'd rather sink money into more lenses or a D800e.

I agree. I see you have a D800 and D7000. So you know that if you turn on "autoISO" the d800 that is pretty much what the D5100 always does, so annoying. On the D7000 Can i change the aperature in live view, is there away around that?

Corey @ Faymus Media

I agree. I see you have a D800 and D7000. So you know that if you turn on "autoISO" the d800 that is pretty much what the D5100 always does, so annoying. I like the flip screen but everything else on the d7000 looks much better.

SkvLTD

So 5100 doesn't allow ISO control in video, at all? Not even if auto is off and you bind ISO control to that Fn key under flash?

Corey @ Faymus Media

So 5100 doesn't allow ISO control in video, at all? Not even if auto is off and you bind ISO control to that Fn key under flash?

i am not sure about that. Maybe you can, however if you turned ISO up or down the camera would just change exposure to compensate its very annoying.

Wahugg

I just confirmed on the 5100 that if you make the FN button effect the ISO, the ISO can be changed while holding it down in Live view.

​EDIT: I just tried changing the ISO and shutter speed during recording, and neither are can be changed. The ISO number won't change at all while the shutter speed number will. However, the shutter speed does not take effect until the recording ends.

Last edited:

Corey @ Faymus Media

I just confirmed on the 5100 that if you make the FN button effect the ISO, the ISO can be changed while holding it down in Live view.

​EDIT: I just tried changing the ISO and shutter speed during recording, and neither are can be changed. The ISO number won't change at all while the shutter speed number will. However, the shutter speed does not take effect until the recording ends.

Exactly what I was saying. The exposure will not change manually at all while in live view or recording. Even after turning live view off or if you stop recording the iso can be changed but "auto exposure" will just adjust it again. so annoying.

From what I have read. The D7000 allows you to change ISO, shutter, and aperature and it will change the exposure settings. Also the D7000 seems to have full control, it does not auto adjust exposure unless you set the ISO to "auto iso" am I correct?

Wahugg

Exactly what I was saying. The exposure will not change manually at all while in live view or recording. Even after turning live view off or if you stop recording the iso can be changed but "auto exposure" will just adjust it again. so annoying.

From what I have read. The D7000 allows you to change ISO, shutter, and aperature and it will change the exposure settings. Also the D7000 seems to have full control, it does not auto adjust exposure unless you set the ISO to "auto iso" am I correct?

Yup! The D7000 allows full control of ISO and exposure time during live view mode and recording BUT NOT APERTURE while in live view or while recording!! To change aperture, you must exit live view mode/recording, change it, and then re enter live view mode. The aperture you selected out of live view will be reflected in live view. You just can't change the aperture will in live view.

The D5100 does the same thing but the camera its self takes over this during recording totally ignoring your selected settings.

If you have and specific questions just let me know as I own both cameras.

​-Wahugg

Last edited:

Corey @ Faymus Media

Yup! The D7000 allows full control of ISO and exposure time during live view mode and recording BUT NOT APERTURE while in live view or while recording!! To change aperture, you must exit live view mode/recording, change it, and then re enter live view mode. The aperture you selected out of live view will be reflected in live view. You just can't change the aperture will in live view.

The D5100 does the same thing but the camera its self takes over this during recording totally ignoring your selected settings.

If you have and specific questions just let me know as I own both cameras.

​-Wahugg

Thanks man! I have alot of experience with the D800, D800E, and D4. But none with the D7000 or D5100. LOL

I just pulled the trigger. D7000 arrives tomorrow. Is $594 with tax and shipping a good deal?

Roy1961

Contributor
last time i read of the D7000 for $600 it was a scam, hope your deal is not.

Edit, this was for an advertised New Camera.

Last edited:

Corey @ Faymus Media

Definitely not a scam. I bought it from borrowlenses.com the camera is in great condition has about 20,000 actuations.I have a good relationship with them and I got a great deal on it.Now I must say I am extremely impressed with the build quality of this camera. It is leaps and bounds better than the D5100!Also frames per second burst is very impressive, I don't know how fast it shoots specifically but it's really quick.I Remember reading on the Internet all the time people comparing the D700 to the Canon 7D A lot of reviews said that the 7D was better than that D7000. Well I owned a Canon 7D for three years and I can say this, The d7000 is As much better dynamic range, I can pull shadows much better, the d7000 shoots almost as fast and the build quality is just as good if not better and it's a lot cheaper than the 7D.I am very impressed, And with the speed and the resolution being 16 megapixels it looks like I can probably get away with this camera for a while until I save up for a D4! Thanks for all that guys, I'm going to be doing a hands-on review of the D7000.