which mid range DSLR to buy???

thistimeimperfect

Hello,
i have stuck by my trusty d40 for quite a while now, but it has finally given up on me. I would love if anyone has any suggestions for what dslr i should purchase next? I am studying photography at university, and i can spend up to £1000. Please help!

​Thanks!

fotojack

Nice budget to work with. I'd suggest getting a D7000 and some good glass (lenses) to go with it. Or, alternatively, get yourself a "previously enjoyed" D90 and some really good glass! The possibilities are almost endless. There are other cameras, of course, but those are the ones that come to mind. You have many to choose from with your budget.
Let us know what you finally decide on. :)

thistimeimperfect

thanks for the suggestion! would you recommend the d7000 over the d7100? i guess i dont need anything too fancy but as its for my degree the d7000 seems like a good choice!

SkvLTD

IF you can squeeze 7100 into your budget, I'd get that over 7000. You're looking for a new piece of hardware, so you might as well get the best you can afford.

Horoscope Fish

Hello,
i have stuck by my trusty d40 for quite a while now, but it has finally given up on me. I would love if anyone has any suggestions for what dslr i should purchase next? I am studying photography at university, and i can spend up to £1000. Please help!
I went from a D40 to a D5100 and I'm pretty damn happy about it. If I had it to do all over again, and assuming I had the scratch, I would have gotten a D7100. The 5100, though, I have to say, is a real "wolf in sheep's clothing"!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
thanks for the suggestion! would you recommend the d7000 over the d7100? i guess i dont need anything too fancy but as its for my degree the d7000 seems like a good choice!

If it was me and I have the computer to support the 24mp files, then I would get the D7100. The D7000 is also very good and you will see a noticeable improvement on just about everything from your D40. Good luck with your camera selection and with your studies.

stmv

The d700 are great, but even used, they run between 1300-1600 for a clean copy,

I think I would still get a brand new D7000 or if you can push to 1100 dollars, then the 7100,

as a photo student you won't be unhappy, plus, you gain Video! which I would think is a potential interest.

crycocyon

As much as I love the D700, its technology is now a few years back and so I would go with the suggestion of the D7100. It isn't just about the megapixels, but also high ISO performance, dynamic range, etc.. Plus, it can, for example, let you transfer images through wifi to your smartphone. The older cameras simply don't have those extra trinkets. You can get pro-quality images with the D7100 for a very reasonable price.

I envy your choice of study....great stuff!

AC016

Just looking at Amazon UK to get a sense of cam prices over there. If you are going to buy new, the D7100 is just under your budget - body only. Again, if buying new, you can get a D5200 and have some pounds left over for a prime lens. Since your D40 had no in-body focus motor, i am sure the lense(s) from your D40 have their own focus motor; therefore, no need to worry about that issue. If you don't mind used, well, you will have a lot more choices at your hands. Good luck

§am

I'm gonna say, get the D5100 over the D5200 as you get more or less the same performance but more bang for buck from the D5100.
That way you can invest in some good additional lenses (as you didn't pertain to let us know what kid of lenses you currently own).

If lenses isn't a major issue, then your grand will easily cover a D7000 body and still have plenty left for another lens, or just go all out for a body only and get the D7100 (which will leave you with a nice sum of £~15 in change) :)

AC016

Here is a comparison of the two:

Nikon D5100 vs D5200 - Our Analysis

I will have to disagree that you are getting more or less the same performance. It would be a huge blunder by Nikon if they were to make cameras so close to each other, that people would see absolutely no difference between them. Though, i suppose it all comes down to how you perceive certain specs and how they really impact ones photos. In the end, he has the bucks, why not get the latest and greatest?

Stangman98

Can I ask a question. Based on the budget that he posted, within a couple hundred dollars you could get a great FULL FRAME D700 used. Why does everyone suggest a DX body instead?

stmv

I will say that the 5200 is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade in focus points, and a decent upgrade in image quality (at least in the specs).

I picked up the 5100 on that pricing error a couple of months (49 dollars!), and have been very pleased with the images.

My current cameras run from 700/5100/7000/800, and I have to say, that the delta between them is getting minute for images out. I am really becoming of the thought, that you buy for features and price at this point. All of them are capable of producing awesome images.

Oh,, and I never plan on getting rid of my D80,, and miss my D50, D70, and D300,, even the older cameras are gems.

Bottom line: a Working Nikon is what one needs.

AC016

Can I ask a question. Based on the budget that he posted, within a couple hundred dollars you could get a great FULL FRAME D700 used. Why does everyone suggest a DX body instead?

Question is, can he stretch his budget? Other question is, can he afford the FX glass afterwards? He is a student after all. The suggestion to stick with DX is more about dollars and cents - sense? - than anything else, atleast on my part.

AC016

I will say that the 5200 is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade in focus points, and a decent upgrade in image quality (at least in the specs).

I picked up the 5100 on that pricing error a couple of months (49 dollars!), and have been very pleased with the images.

My current cameras run from 700/5100/7000/800, and I have to say, that the delta between them is getting minute for images out. I am really becoming of the thought, that you buy for features and price at this point. All of them are capable of producing awesome images.

Oh,, and I never plan on getting rid of my D80,, and miss my D50, D70, and D300,, even the older cameras are gems.

Bottom line: a Working Nikon is what one needs.

I love my D80 :)