D5200 kit vs. D7000

Sevenup

I've been without a camera for a few years and am jumping back in. I used to love SLR but its been a long time, I really need to freshen up. Bought the 5200 but am not settled if I should return int for the 7000- would love some input. My son is already enrolled in a course on photography, I've already got some shoots- hospice, birth, family portraits lined up over the next month "for friends". I have several families that want portraits done over the next couple months- I'm doing all this just to get experience with my own camera- I've had to borrow in the past. My husband would prefer we purchase through Sam's Club or Costco as the warranty we have used on our other electronics has been superb (taking something back for a total replacement 18mo later, yeah!) We aren't sure about dealing with other retailers we use often as we've never used their warranty. I am unlikely to be able to financially upgrade my body for at least a few years so...

I need a lens and my max startup is $1200

At Sam's a 7000 w/ 18-105 is $1199
a 5200 w/ 18-105 and 55-200 is $1179

Costco their 7000 is only available as a bundle w/ 18-200 is $1500, which I can't afford
The 5200 bundle w/ 18-55 and 55-300 is $1149- this is what I recenly picked up.

I'm wondering for the future if I should return and get the 7000 at Sam's.

Son loves the 55-300, but I'm thinking if I go to the 7000 I'll just make him buy his own lens!

Last edited:

Rick M

Re: 5200 kit vs. 7000

It's a hard call between those two bodies. New sensor of the D5200 or the better, pro like controls of the D7000. Not happy about your lens choices if you really want to get into portraits. Here's what I would do if I was on a real tight budget and needed it now:

They are both excellent bodies which will last for years. Get the cheapest one with the 18-55 or 18-105 lens. The 50mm 1.8g is excellent on a dx body for portraites ($220 at BHphoto). If it means giving up the 18-105 to get the 50mm, it is worth the tradeoff, it will be one of the best lenses you ever own.

Don't be affraid of good online retailers like BHphoto. It's more important you get the right combo.

You may have to go to a different retailer or online to get the right combo. BHphoto online is excellent.

crycocyon

Before I got the D7000 I faced the same decision....get a D5200 or D7000?

From the kind of activity you will be covering with the camera, to me it makes sense to go with the D7000 and have your son buy additional lenses if he wants them.

Here's a good quick comparison:

Nikon D5200 vs D7000 - Our Analysis

The D7000 will be much more sturdy and able to handle the bumps as it has a partial magnesium frame and it is weather sealed like the pro cameras. I heard about someone having a D5100 and it got bumped pretty hard and had a crack in the casing. Warranties don't cover that. Another important difference is that the D7000 has an internal motor (the D5100 doesn't) so it can autofocus all AF Nikon lenses whereas the D5200 cannot autofocus the older AF lenses and you or you son might like to take advantage of the big cost savings and flexibility in being able to get older but also very good quality AF lenses. I've seen, at least online, pro wedding photographers using the D7000, even for video, it is that good.

crycocyon

More food for thought, D7000 on the left, D5200 on the right... Nikon-D7100-vs-D5200-3.jpg

Last edited:

Sevenup

Considering a friend just dropped her dslr in a bucket of liquid.... and Sam's and Costco warranties do not cover that- we reevaulated B&H and will probably buy there and add their warranty and grab the 7000. I'm excited!

carguy

Considering a friend just dropped her dslr in a bucket of liquid.... and Sam's and Costco warranties do not cover that- we reevaulated B&H and will probably buy there and add their warranty and grab the 7000. I'm excited!

Congrats!

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

Just to throw a wrench in the works think about a refurb Cameras for Sale | Buy a Digital Camera from Cameta Camera has great refurbished cameras and they come with a one year warranty and you can buy an extended warranty to go with it. I bought my D5100 form them and I would have never known it was not new.

one example

Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera Body - Factory Refurbished & 18-105mm VR Lens & 55-200mm VR Lens with 32GB Card + 2 Filters + Case + Tripod Kit
$1,119.95

Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera Body - Factory Refurbished & 18-105mm VR Lens with 32GB Card + UV Filter + Case + Tripod + Accessory Kit $999.95

Sevenup

How is Cameta viewed as a retailer? I've heard of B&H... probably for 2 decades of my life... and Adaroma for a while from buying through Amazon.

Found some 7000's on Craigslist- I have a love hate relationship with Craigslist- I sell and am honest, but I am afraid of getting ripped off!

Sevenup

The 50mm 1.8g is excellent on a dx body for portraites ($220 at BHphoto). If it means giving up the 18-105 to get the 50mm, it is worth the tradeoff, it will be one of the best lenses you ever own.

B&H is backordered, so I put it in on Amazon and it says it may not work with the 7000- do you know why it would say that?

Vapiano

Last year I purchased a D5100 w/18-55mm f/3.5 kit, took a class and realized after 4 sessions I needed more from a camera. I purchased from Crutchfield which allowed me to return it for the D7000 w/18-300mm f/3.5 and 50mm f/1.8. Best decision I ever made! The 50mm is boss on the D7000.

Sevenup

Thx, I got the 7000 and the 35mm f1.8 from B&H.

Anyone have a book to recommend from Amazon? I'm rural, net is spotty here, so I'd like a book or two in hand.

Epoc

Good call on the 7000. I have 2 that I use for work. They are fantastic cameras. I hope to just about wear mine out (much like one of my D70's which has over 87,000 shots on it and still works like the day I bought it). :)