Disappointing af performance

toetapper

I am disappointed in the performance of the af on my d600, I shoot a lot of aquarium photography under strange and low light conditions and the camera struggles with the subject coming towards the camera it just doesn't lock react quick enough, I'm using af-c and single point ...the Lens used in the instance is a Tamron 90 mm macro( latest gen) .... My D3100 seemed to cope better ! Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Simon

piperbarb

I would suggest trying manual focus. The water can do strange things to the light as it passes through. The 3100 may be more forgiving.

BackdoorArts

They have 3D AF-C for a reason. Not sure how well single point AF-C does with movement toward/away from the camera. Also, there was a firmware upgrade that made some improvements to the AF-C mode for both the D600 and D800, so download and install that if you haven't.

Geoffc

One of the main reasons I sold my D600 was poor AF performance in low contrast situations. I was used to the D300s AF speed. I tried them side by side in low light and the 600 struggled to find a lock whereas the 300 snapped in. The 800 is similar to the 300.

I am disappointed in the performance of the af on my d600, I shoot a lot of aquarium photography under strange and low light conditions and the camera struggles with the subject coming towards the camera it just doesn't lock react quick enough, I'm using af-c and single point ...the Lens used in the instance is a Tamron 90 mm macro( latest gen) .... My D3100 seemed to cope better ! Any suggestions ?

Cheers
Simon

First off Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
Nikon Product Manuals available for download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks