Settings for Video at Sporting Event

nikonlion

Hello,
I will be shooting video at a mixed martial art event with my D5100. I'm kind of new to all this but getting the hang of it little by little. Here's a sample of my work.

This is my lens: Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR DX G ED Lens

At this event I will be walking out with the fighters to the cage. The lighting will be kind of like in a club or something except for the cage where it will be brighter. I will be shooting in monochrome. I will be right by the cage. I have both a bayonet and tulip lens hood.

I figure I'll stay in manual focus? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Event is tomorrow night.

THANKS

nikonlion

In case it isn't clear, I'm looking for settings that I should use for both the walkout and filming the fight. Walking out will be darker and when I'm filming the fight lighting will be a little better.

Simpler is probably better for me right now as I'd rather get the footage than screw it up, but I'd still appreciate any advice on settings.

Thanks alot.

SkvLTD

All depends on the actual lighting out there. Why not take a still or two to dial everything in, or even a quick test vid and lock the exposure based on those?

nikonlion

Good idea. What aperture setting? Also, any special settings for capturing fast paced action? I think I've done ok so far but the pace will be a lot faster at the event. And although I have both a bayonet hood and a tulip hood, I've only used one. Any recommendations?

SkvLTD

If anything ask Dooku77, he shoots fighting indoors and could probably lend ya a hand with all these questions.

Personally I try to do everything and check the settings on the spot. Haven't dabbled much into video here, but same rule would apply to apertures- wide open = shallow depth of field, more closed down = more of subject in focus but you'll need to bump ISO to make up for a smaller light hole (or not as much since its video?)

nikonlion

Well, I just winged it. I got some great footage, and some horrible footage. I walked out with the fighters and it was impossible to focus in the dark, but the grittiness makes it seem even cooler I think. It might take me a bit to develop all this into another episode.

SkvLTD

Nice. Post a link when you upload it somewhere. Also, in the dark, thats where your eyes and manual focus come in.

nikonlion

Sure will. Plan is to build a blog thing dedicated to their training camps. One guy broke his hand but won the belt. The other guy fought a good fight but lost via TKO and is cut. A third guy from my gym won the main event and is turning pro. I'll document that process and the comebacks for the other two.

Here's one good photo I got of the guy that lost. I posted it in the black and white section.

DSC_0045.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited: