This one Nikon 24-70mm or this one Nikon 70-200mm

gerfoto

Hello,

I am just curious and want to read your opinions about these two lenses. Personally I think the 70-200 is the winner. Help me decide which one to get Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Wide Angle Zoom Lens or Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Zoom Lens

Thanks a lot.

jwstl

That's sort of like saying you need athletic shoes and want to know which ones to get. Like there are different shoes for different sports there are lenses for different purposes. These are 2 of Nikon's best but they serve different purposes. What do you plan to shoot?

Last edited:

Geoffc

The very fact that you are asking this question means that the answer is neither. Get an 18-200, use it for a year and then answer your own question. Both are best in class at different jobs. Your question is like "shall I get a car or a helicopter".

I do actually have both lenses sat next to me so I could answer the question if I knew what it was. The 24-70 is going back to my mate because I was just comparing it to my 24-120. The former looked to have the edge in resolution, however the 24-120 is very good and far more versatile for my requirements. If you wanted my 70-200 you'd better bring a gun.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
For indoor shooting, the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 gets more use. For outdoor, the 70-200mm f2.8 is the king. It's just a matter of time before you end up with both.

Neel1

For outdoor, the 70-200mm f2.8 is the king. It's just a matter of time before you end up with both.

Is that true even for an ASP sized sensor camera? I used D7100 as my main camera to shoot fashion, and indeed, the 24-70 mm I own tends to give me a certain type of photos...I am thinking of going for a 70-200mm to expand my possibilities!

480sparky

With no compelling reason listed for suggesting one over the other, this question cannot be answered.

It's like asking, "Do I get a 2-seater sports car or a 4WD pickup?"

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Is that true even for an ASP sized sensor camera? I used D7100 as my main camera to shoot fashion, and indeed, the 24-70 mm I own tends to give me a certain type of photos...I am thinking of going for a 70-200mm to expand my possibilities!

For DX, I would like to see an update on the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX since that works better for DX users.

Sent from my iPhone.