Which full-frame DSLR for someone who's used to the N90s (F90X) SLR?

Phil1trope

Hi all,

A bit of context: I want to get a full-frame Nikon DSLR for my father (in his late 50's), which is (in my humble opinion) an amazing photographer. I was, and still am, stunned by his composition and light "capturing" skills. The problem is the following: he never used a DSLR, ever.
Only film SLRs, his main one (and preferred) being a N90s (also called F90x outside of the US) with a wide array of lenses.
He's not really a teksavvy guy and is much more comfortable in his darkroom than in front of a computer.
However, he now really wants to try the digital side of things.

I'm just concerned he will be overwhelmed by the new functions/settings available on the newer digital models.
That's why I was wondering if someone who shared a similar experience might give me some insight as to what camera I should chose and if there's any necessary steps required or a specific learning curve that might ease the process.

I have a D90 that I got a few years ago, one day I lend it to my father so he could give it a shot, he tried for 30 minutes and then gave it back, frustrated and angry at himself because he couldn't get the shot like he wanted it.

All this to say that I'm looking for a full-frame DSLR that would be a good transition for a very experienced film photographer that is not tekksavy and never used lightroom/photoshop and the like (he wants to learn, but has 0 experience so far).

The D600 sounded like a good choice to me, but I would love to hear from people that have gone through a similar transition!

Phil1trope

Because that was years ago, and he didn't even want to try digital, which he does now.
Also he tried it with his lenses, so I guess that didn't help.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd give him a D600 WITH a little crash course they do give in some photo stores when you buy locally. And some books on photoshop also. Just the camera, he might not enjoy it at first, but with the right tools, he'll just love it I'm sure.

Dave_W

The Dude
Digital cameras and film cameras look similar and the optics that control the lenses are the same but beyond that they're very different. That said, a quick crash course (ala Marcel) would get him up to speed after which I'm sure he'd fall in love with a D600. Just warn him ahead of time to remove all his preconception and go into it with an open mind.

Eye-level

Banned
I'd consider the D700 for him. It is cheap(er) and is a no frills type of rig. If you get him a D600 and it has the dreaded spotting issue he will never touch a digital camera again in his life.