New here - Thinking of coming over to the dark side(I am a Canon shooter) need advice

Mark2009

Hi,
I am a, I guess advanced amateur dad, been using Canon for probably 15 yrs. Latley I have been using a mostly a Canon 50D with a 85mm f/1.8 for basketball. My son has been injured and his basketball career is over. I just sold my 50D, and have my lens up for sale, as I am now thinking of shooting more portraits, landscape, more general stuff, and less sports. I was going to stick with Canon, but the 7D does not impress me IQ wise, and I started looking at Nikon, which I know nothing about these cameras. But it appears to me you get more for your money, with great IQ. I was looking at maybe a D7000, or the D7100 with the 18-105 lens. Would these be a good choice..I just feel Canon is falling behind in price vers performance.

I would really appreciate any information and advice

wud

For portraits and landscape, I wouldnt look at Canon 7D, I would look in the 5D series (but not 5D classic though, it has a funny soft look, Im not fan of it).

But that said, I just got a Nikon, and I am VERY happy about it! I've been using Canon before. I wanted a camera for both action and more chilled stuff, and I really think I got it all. Nice and crisp sharpness, bright colours, nice iso.

Maybe you can go and try it out at a shop or someone you know who got those models you're looking at?

Hope your son will be okay.

stmv

and the 7100 OPENS up over 60 years of Nikkor lens which is like a kid in a candy store.

If you want to save a few bucks,, they are fire selling the 7000 for 896 dollars or so, which would give you a few hundred for more LENS!!!!!

ok,, I am a lens junky,, but thati is what makes Nikon such a blast! you can use lens that are decades old, and they are still great.

Long live the F Mount and models that meter old glass and or still drive the auto focus motors of the older Auto Focus lens!

jwstl

We prefer to think of it as coming into the light.
I have the D7000 and love it. If I were buying today I'd get the D7100 if I wanted excellent IQ, a very good body (love the D7000 with Nikon grip), and DX.

Akiviri

Welcome. I just sold my Canon stuff as well and am waiting on my D90 to arrive. My opinion - for what it's worth not having shot it yet (lol) I got the 18-105, the 35mm F/1.8G, and if I were to shoot head and shoulders portraits (I don't) I'd get the 50mm to boot. The 35 could probably handle it tho if your subject doesn't mind cozy, or portraits were infrequent. But for $100 it's nice to have for that purpose lol.

Mark2009

Welcome to Nikonites! :)

Was there something specific that you didn't like about the IQ of the Canon? ISO range?

I think I would put the difference between the cost of the d7100 and d7000 into lenses and get the d7000. The differences in the two are posted here: http://nikonites.com/d7100/11384-d7100-vs-d7000.html
Hi, I was using a 50D with a 85mm, and noise was a problem above iso2500....Also I do have the upgrade bug, and Canon has some new models rumored to be coming out, and I sold most of my gear in prep for that. I have only used canon gear, but in the crop arena for canon, the 7D is my only upgrade, and a lot of people are saying it needs a lot of post processing. Then someone said go look at nikon, and I started looking at spec, and the D7000 right now seems like a great deal, around $1100 with a 18-105 lens, and then I figured I could pick up a 85mm for basketball...to get me started in the Nikon world anyway

stmv

hey,, the worst thing, when the next great Canon comes along, you sell off your Nikon. Nikons hold their value.

SkvLTD

and the 7100 OPENS up over 60 years of Nikkor lens which is like a kid in a candy store.

If you want to save a few bucks,, they are fire selling the 7000 for 896 dollars or so, which would give you a few hundred for more LENS!!!!!

ok,, I am a lens junky,, but thati is what makes Nikon such a blast! you can use lens that are decades old, and they are still great.

Long live the F Mount and models that meter old glass and or still drive the auto focus motors of the older Auto Focus lens!

Rather, all but non-AI, so I'd say roughly 40-45 years worth, but with auto focus and metering, yes.