D300s vs D7000

imnunky

I have been waiting patiently, whilst watching, searching forums, classifieds etc, to pick up D300s obviously used, but justifiably sellers are asking max $, so I keep on searching, in meantime It's time to broaden my search, so in to D7000,
I read an article put out by retailer north of the border, and excuse me but Holy cow does this thing put a run on D90 and some what the D300s, with it's features, not even including the video feature, plus it cost less "NEW" than a D300s "USED"
I would be interested in come backs from existing D300s user's, whom have a more in-dept view of their charge, more so than I, thank you

six2one

video, and higher MP is about it for this camera for me. i have a 300s.

im pretty sure the d300s has the same meter, shutter, autofocus (d3 has better processing for it tho) and some other parts that the d3 has.

i do not consider the d7000 a play on the d300s. plus my autofocus points cover nearly the ENTIRE viewfinder. and my 300s is faster, and i have MORE physical buttons as well. im not familiar with everything on the 7000 but i can tell there doesnt seem to be external controls for focus mode. for sports thats killer. there are other reasons. but i do appreciate nikon making a better replacement for the d90. i dont consider it a threat to the d300s. i dont use video, however.

also, i think the 7000 is for certain a replacement for the 90.

imnunky

Six2one: thank you for your input, that is exactly what I wanted an opinion, I have not had any hands on experience with the 300s, or yet with the D7k and that is critical in wanting to make a decision on purchases, yes you in my opinion are right in that the D7k puts a run on D90 with more this and that, I guess to be fair I should wait for reviews on the D7k after it comes on the market, sure glad I signed up on this site

six2one

Six2one: thank you for your input, that is exactly what I wanted an opinion, I have not had any hands on experience with the 300s, or yet with the D7k and that is critical in wanting to make a decision on purchases, yes you in my opinion are right in that the D7k puts a run on D90 with more this and that, I guess to be fair I should wait for reviews on the D7k after it comes on the market, sure glad I signed up on this site

now playing devils advocate...if i did NOT have my 300s, i would probably consider the 7000. i am most interested in the ISO performance of it. mine is 12mp, which is totally nice...but alittle more would be good if i had to crop for a sports shot or whatever. but again, i want to see what the ISO is like first.

keep in mind, the d90 is older...the d300s is just over a year old. so it has some life left. i think for purely sports the d300s will remain better. but if you wanted a good camera i bet the 7000 is damn decent. if you are starting fresh, i would get the 7000. for me, i am waiting for the replacement for the d700.

six2one

six2one: I have included a link to a site that I was searching for some thing else an came across it, which I read in it's entirety and glad I did, it shows four examples of ISO, for me it was a great read, so much so I have book marked it for future reference
Nikon D7000 Body Digital SLR Camera 17710 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

i need to get my hands on some raws at some point. ISO performance is becoming more and more important to me. my d300s is damn good in the dark. ISO 1600 no problem, 3200 is like my old d40 at 800. i tell you what, the extra speed from the d300s is nice for sports. if i knew something cool was going to happen (like a wreck or something) then i would just hold the shutter and not miss anything.

for the asking price that 7000 is damn nice, it would make a great backup crop sensor. now that i keep reading about it, i kinda wanna get one to play with, lol.

six2one

i need to get my hands on some raws at some point. ISO performance is becoming more and more important to me. my d300s is damn good in the dark. ISO 1600 no problem, 3200 is like my old d40 at 800. i tell you what, the extra speed from the d300s is nice for sports. if i knew something cool was going to happen (like a wreck or something) then i would just hold the shutter and not miss anything.

for the asking price that 7000 is damn nice, it would make a great backup crop sensor. now that i keep reading about it, i kinda wanna get one to play with, lol.

i will say, i have experimented with video on my 300s for a few moments...and my 10.5mm fishy is like sex, lol. its pretty damn cool.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Thom Hogan has an interesting perspective on this in today's (October 4th) blog entry titled The Big Question Everyone Asks. Worth a read IMHO.