HSS *off* camera...

SimplyKelly

Hi there, I'm a newb to this community, hopefully I can find some answers through you knowledgeable people :)

I've been trying to get together my OCF setup. I've got my speedlites, transmitters, and camera, obviously.
With my SB 700 the HSS works fine on the cameras hot shoe, but does not work when I take it off camera.
Am I dense, does the SB 700 not work at all in HSS off camera? or what would I need for it to work?

Mfrankfort

I don't have the SB-700, but it should work. In the camera, do you have it set to 1/250 FP ? Might be 1/200 FP, not sure about the 800. SB-700 should be set to TTL/FP under mode. Are those the settings you have ? I don't have either the camera or the flash, but have done some research, and watched a video all about flash photography.

WayneF

And make sure your pop up flash (I think the 800 has one) is set to off. "--"

Right, that is the key. Assuming you are using the Commander to trigger the remote flash - The popup cannot do Auto FP mode, so if its contribution is enabled, no FP mode. Just set popup mode in Commander menu to be "- -", and then it can still be the trigger for the remote flashes which are FP mode.

If not using the Commander, then no, FP flash mode is not possible off camera if any of the other triggering methods.

Last edited: