best tripod?

cookstarcarolyn

I have been wondering the same thing...I was thinking a "small" budget...but then realized I need to spend some money for a good one! Been through a few cheap ones...and have decided myself to go with a manfrotto with a really good head...The problem I am having with my cheap one is that I get it all set up for macro...and my camera starts ever so slowly sliding...then the subject is no longer in the viewfinder! This of course causes me alot of grief with a slight movement and some blur!!

ohkphoto

Snow White
. . . and do you have specific needs such as for macro-photography which sometimes requires you to get your camera close to the ground -- which means you need either a reversible column or tripod legs that spread out at a wide angle.

I use a gitzo explorer model with a ball head and quickrelease plate. I really like being able to maneuver that middle column to a horizontal position.

Best Regards

Fen

The best advice for buying a tripod is "never buy a cheap one". They aren't as stable or strong as more expensive ones and you'll end up buying a better tripod at a later date, so save yourself some money and buy once :)

I'd recommend the Manfrotto series of tripods and heads, use them myself. I saved up and splashed out on one of their carbon fibre tripods... expensive but excellent. The carbon fibre is very strong and incredibly light, perfect for strapping to the camera bag and carrying around the countryside.

Joseph Bautsch

What tripod you use will depend on how and what you use it for. No tripod will work for both indoor and outdoor shooting. Outdoor, hiking, backpacking, or just walking through woods to get to a waterfall or that sunrise from the top of a ridge you will want something light weight and small enough to carry around for a couple of hours. For indoor portrait or macro shooting you want something sturdy and heavy enough to be stable. Usually most photographers try to buy one to do both jobs and wind up not very happy with what they bought. Decide what style of photography you do most and buy for that style. Fen is giving good advice cheap tripods are worthless and you are wasting your money on them. Manfrotto makes a very good line of carbon fibre tripods and worth every cent you spend on them. My wife and I annually spend 4 to 6 weeks on trips across country and a tripod that is light weight and compact is essential especially for flying. I purchased the Tiltall Traveler for $130. It is less than 17" folded up and less than 3 lb. and one of the legs comes off to be used as a monopod. It fit the bill for what I needed it for but I was a little leery about the quality. It was not one of the more "expensive" models. When I got it I was very surprised at the quality, very good, and it has worked great for what I wanted it for. I have another tripod for indoor work but it weighs almost 9 lb. Not something you want to carry around outdoors.