loading bin file

Thunderz2000

Help please

I saw on Ken rockwells site an option to load a mirror of his settings into my D7000.
I downloaded the file..copied it to my sd card and went to load settings.
It seems that save settings is available but not the option to load them.
Am i missing something obvious?

Cheers all

Thunderz2000

i also note that if you click on the "load settings" it says "this option is not available with current settings"
If i save settings first then load appears but the one i copied to the sd card has not loaded.
Any one shed light on this
Ive tried PASM and U! and U2 to get load to appear..no joy as yet

cheers

Lou

Thunderz2000

Thanks for that Fred.

I dont wanna run with his settings but as a newbie i want to explore the way to do it with external bin files.
There seems to be a lot of KR bashing generally on the internet as i see it.

lou

You would be a lot better off sitting down with your manual and reading about all the settings and then playing with them. See what each does by shooting with them off and the the same shot on. You will find that as you do that you won't be just copying someones bad advice but actually learning what to do. Your style should be your own and not just a copy.

Sit down and study and most of all have fun.

Fred Kingston

I wasn't trying to bash him or anybody... I was just trying to offer logical advice... 99% of the time, all I do is google someone's question, and there's a Nikon answer within the first 5 posts... usually with videos etc... If I got a tip off someone's web site, and it doesn't appear to work as advertised, I'd just send them an email asking for clarification... There's no magic here... :eek:

Thunderz2000

Thanks for that

Its what Im doing bit by bit. I have come from a humble P&S to a complex DSLR. Nothing comes easy and you have to work at it. But we are all in photography because we love the results good or bad. I came to this forum for good advice not really to bash anyone for there settings but for a learning curve. If i understand how to do something then i make my own way.
No one drives a car first time without some help.
I apologise for my ignorance

lou

Thanks for that

Its what Im doing bit by bit. I have come from a humble P&S to a complex DSLR. Nothing comes easy and you have to work at it. But we are all in photography because we love the results good or bad. I came to this forum for good advice not really to bash anyone for there settings but for a learning curve. If i understand how to do something then i make my own way.
No one drives a car first time without some help.
I apologise for my ignorance

lou

We all have been there at some point in time. The best way to really learn something is to get in there and try. As you go along in learning just ask questions here and we will point you in the right direction. As you have probably already seen there are many right directions. No one here no matter what they say knows all the answers. You ultimately have to decide what is right for you,

Horoscope Fish

Maybe I'm the one missing something but... When I make a change to one, or several, of my camera's settings I don't "save" those changes, I just press okay and the changes remain in place until I go back and... well... change them. Again. Do the D7K's not work that way?

*scratches head*

Maybe I'm the one missing something but... When I make a change to one, or several, of my camera's settings I don't "save" those changes, I just press okay and the changes remain in place until I go back and... well... change them. Again.

*scratches head*

OK = Save

If the bin file thing worked it would have changed just like yours does. It would not have been permanent.

Horoscope Fish

OK = Save
I should have left the "press OK" part out because many times even that's not required. Say, just for one example, in the White Balance menu: I just click what setting I want, say I'm switching from Tungsten to Dayilght, and that's all that's required. I scroll down to "Daylight" and the new selection returns me to the parent menu.

For that matter why doesn't the OP simply input KR's suggested settings manually?

/mystified...
//head explodes...

SkvLTD

Honestly just read how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO work together, then play around. Set em all to something in Manual mode, take a shot, see what it ends up being. Adjust what you think will help the best and shoot/look again. And again. And again.

That or point the cam around on auto and note what it thinks it needs to set itself to get a decent shot. Then dive into Manual.

LouCioccio

from bythom hogan
"I'm a bit on the fence about the U1 and U2 (user settings 1 and 2) positions on the Mode dial. Yes, this means that you can have your camera set up to as much as three different configurations with a turn of a dial (PAS or M, U1, and U2). But there's a bit of clumsiness in the design there, too. We also have a Save/load settings option in the SETUP menu, and this is located on a different page from the Save user settings that puts your settings into the U1 and U2 positions on the Mode dial. What!?! Was someone on drugs in the firmware department the day they added this? There should be one Save Settings function (U1, U2, card in Slot 1, card in Slot 2), and one Load Settings function (U1, U2, card in Slot 1, card in Slot 2). Plus you should be able to be set on U1 and load the settings from U2 (and vice versa)."
I too was confused because its not in the same spot on the menu but further down. Again a peeve of mine software engineers not being camera users.

Refer to page 236 full list in Setup Menu you can see it SHOULD have been grouped together. If you have the pdf print out that page.

Ciao,
Lou Cioccio

Last edited:

Krs_2007

YouTube was my friend when I got my 7000. Look for the d7000 series from Fro Knows Photos, he walks you through setup and explains a bunch of the camera functions. I am more of a visual person and found several videos that helped. Afterwards you will have enough knowledge to be dangerous, kidding, good luck it's a great camera and a lot to learn about it. I set a goal to never use Auto (green) on the dial and that has helped a bunch. The best thing is just play with different settings and if you don't like it then go back.