Should I upgrade from my D5000 to the new D7000

mikona

Hello Everyone,

My wife has recently taken up photography. In June 2010, I purchased for my wife the D5000 (with the 18-55 VR Zoom), SD-600 Flash, 55 - 200 VR Zoom and the 70 - 300 VR Zoom.

This was a very large investment (obviously) and my wife has REALLY taken to the hobby. So much so that she is now taking 32 weeks of classes at betterphoto. We go out every weekend to shoot pictures and now we are learning due to actually shooting pics and the lessons.

One weakness in the D5000 that seems to effect us is the LCD. It isn't a really HIGH resolution display, and when shooting for clarity across the photo, sometimes it is difficult to tell if everything is SHARP. Obviously, another weakness seems to be its video capabilty.

Now, to my questions (THANK YOU IF YOU MADE IT THIS FAR). Is making the investment in a D7000 worth the extra features the camera has? How significant of an upgrade is it. The improved ISO clarity seems very attractive, as does the added pixels and enhanced video capabilities. But, would it be better to move to the D700? And, could I use my current lenses and flash with a D700.

Obviously the less I have to spend THE BETTER, but I can realistically spend $1500 to $2500. It would be her X-Mas present and I would sell the D5000.

Thank you SO much for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Mike

pjl

If I had the 1200 (us) to spend, I'd do it.
Body only, keep your lenses.
The D5000 uses some of the guts (mpixels, etc.) of the D90; the D7000 is the current full upgrade to the D90 and ranks VERY close to the D300S in performance.
The 7000 will get you the ability to auto focus with older lenses (AF and AF-D lenses) and will be faster than the 5000 with AF-S lenses, give you much better low light ability (higher iso), better live view.
You can sell the 5000 for a decent price and spend the $$$ on better lenses.
The lenses you have now are fine for many types of shots.
As your wife increases her understanding and ability to use her camera, she's gonna want better (faster) lenses.
Heck, you can get her the 7000 and keep the 5000 for yourself!
Can't help you w/the D700; it's a full frame vs. the D5/7000 Dx frames.
Your lenses will work on the D700 if you decide to go there.
Great hobby for a couple to get into!

rocky

You don't NEED to. You really shouldn't be that dependent on the lcd display anyway for close detail checking. Master the 5000 first. Become a better Photographer through experience.

RobH

I made the exact upgrade you're considering. For me, the clincher was the ability to use favorite, old lenses from my Nikon film days, a consideration you probably don't have. PJL's summary of reasons to upgrade is pretty good. I'd add these, if any are important to you:
Not only able to use older, AF lenses, but to use the camera's meter with older, non-AF AI lenses
Depth of field preview button, not on the D5000 but the D7000 has it
Able to use an external mic shooting vids. The in-camera audio sucks; if you're shooting video, this could be big
About 30% higher resolution, if you need detailed, larger prints, or need to crop
Better tougher build and weather sealing.
The biggest thing you'll give up, in my opinion, is the articulated screen

fotojack

The lenses you have now are all DX lenses. Go for the D7000, which uses those lenses. The D700 is a full frame camera, and uses full frame lenses.....considerably more expensive.
Yup, the D7000 is the way to go for your wife.
Me...if I had the money, I'd go for a D300.......but that's just me. :)

icSlowMo

My vote would also be for the D7000 with a 35mm f1.8 = about 1400.00 ish and would get you a great low light lens for family pics and some thinner DOF shots...;)

evan

Banned
i would go for the d7000, great piece of kit. just try to get the sharpest lenses for the best price to compliment it as it can show the limitations of some of the nikon kit lenses. the af-d 50mm f1.8 is a gem. as is the af-d 60mm micro nikkor, if you can get a used one. the 70-300 g ed if vr2 (non dx) is a cracker too.