Suggest a Lens for me ! I need a super sharp telephoto ,must be light weight !

Mikeydigs

Ok here goes , I have a the Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr , its great but heavy. I also have the 55-200 vr afs Nikon kit , its good and cheap and light. Ok so suggest some choices, I don't want to buy something I don't use . I have read some reviews on cheaper all plastic telephoto lens . I use these lens for shooting pictures at horse shows , show jumping shots. I know that the Nikon 70-200 is my go to , but I feel that I can use, a light weight alternative. I have considered the new sigma 70-200 os 2.8 but that may be just to similar to the Nikon 2.8 I already own . Some thing like the kit lens 55-200 vr but a step up . I shoot with the Nikon D7000 suggest away !!

Last edited:

stmv

sounds good to me! I second the vote for the F4,, if a lens is too heavy to carry, when its just a big paper weight (and an expensive one at that).

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I own the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 and doubt it would be much different than your Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8. And I'm sure the Nikon 70-200mm f/4 would be a good alternative although I haven't tried one out personally.

Have you considered the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED? Prior to buying my Sigma, I watched a Moose Peterson video where he said pros use it so I tried it out. It met my needs and it works great! It is definitely lighter than my Sigma, and although I can't achieve the bohek of an f/2.8 or f/4 with this lens, I do get more reach. It is sharp (a tad soft at 300mm though) and holds up well against my Sigma sharpness wise. It is @$800 less than the Nikon 70-200mm f/4, offers more reach, but won't offer the bokeh of the f/4. It all depends upon your needs which one might work best for you. Comparing the specs between Nikon's 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 and Nikon's 70-200mm f/4, this (70-300mm) comes in @4oz lighter than the latter.

Here is the video: Nikon’s Best Kept Secret : Moose Peterson's Website

And here is more info on the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6: Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED 2161 B&H

Last edited:

Mikeydigs

I think this is a good suggestion , I also think it would be a good step up from the 55-200 vr and the price is right. I checked it out at Cameta Camera , they offer refurbished deals, and kits . I purchased my kit 18-55 vr and 55-200 vr bundled together for around $200 a few years ago. I think I have to get one asap. I may also invest in the new 70-200 f4 I want to see it before I purchase. (that one is more of an investment )

Mikeydigs

I went all out and purchased both the new 70-200 vr f4 and the 70-300 vr . They just arrived I went for the refurbished 70-300 vr $369.00 from Cameta Camera they do a kit with all kinds of useful accessories . I must say the 70-300 vr looks new , it's nikon refurb and seems like a bargain . Now Im over equipped .

Phillydog1958

You're wanting to switch from a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 to something else. I can appreciate your concern about weight. It's got girth and length, but short of having some physical limitation that could hinder me from using such a lens as the Nikon 2.8, I don't think I would want any other lens within that focal range, or even near it. If I owned that lens, I'm not sure any other zoom would suffice. You own the GRANDDADDY of zoom lenses . . . :D I recently purchased the f4 version and love it. It's a superior lens, but . . . The 2.8 is special and in a class of it's own. I also have the 70-300. It's another good lens, but . . .:) I guess if I had to offer you a suggestion, I'd recommend the Nikon 70-200 f4. Good luck.

Last edited:

Geoffc

I would rather start going to the gym than contemplate an alternative to my 70-200 2.8!!

Your question could have been "please suggest something that's not as good as my 70-200 2.8" because that's what you'll get.

If you must though, the F4 would seem logical as 2.8 lenses are all a similar size.

Samsonite

I have a 70-300, I love it to bits, its my first aftermarket lens, and I've got some very good results with it... That being said... The 70-200 2.8 is regarded as the lens which every pro and advanced amateur should own, and is part of the holy trinity! Everything else in this thread doesn't even come close....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Mikeydigs

thanks for the reply, and I agree the Nikon 70-200 vr that I have is the pro got to lens, but as I stated its heavy . The 55-200 vr kit was a lens that I used and I got used to the light weight and the small size. Also I could use a much smaller camera bag. I felt that there must have been another alterative to the consumer grade 55-200 vr . So that's why I posted . In reality I need to be careful that I don't over buy and sort of collect equipment, it very easy to do. I think I may have done that all ready to a certain degree. I now have two D7000 bodies , Nikon 70-200 vr 2.8 (I have this about 4 years) ,18-55 vr kit lens , 55-200 vr kit , I bought these refurbished for $200. I'm happy with them , I think the 18-55 vr is a must have for most people . I just purchased the new 70-200 vr f4 and I also purchased the 70-300 vr (refurbished $360.00 kit from Cameta Camera ) So like I said I think I have it covered , and then some !

Samsonite

Lol that is a lot of equipment! I suppose anything that is F2.8 and pro build will be heavy, as you see with the tamron and sigma 70-200 they're all hovering about the 1.5kg weight...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!