2/3 of the Prime Trinity acquired!

Helitech

My 85mm 1.8G came in today so that checks the 50 and the 85 off if the list... Gotta keep an eye out on a good deal for the nikkor 28 1.8G or maybe even a sigma 35 f/1.4 if I can find one at a blockbuster price!

Here's the 85mm mounted on my D600:
u9amynaz.jpg

And the budget minded dynamic duo:
9e7e9uzy.jpg

§am

The 85mm is a little way off for me at the moment - I don't have a current need to get something at that focal side of things.

stmv

BTW, last year Nikon filed patents for an 18, 20 and 135mm 1.8 g's!

Yes, you can see Nikon slowly replacing the older design lens,

Of my older AF primes, the one I like the least is the 20mm, but I bet the new one will be very expensive, my guess is 1400 dollars! I still have trouble paying that much for a simple prime except for beautiful examples like the old 105 DC,, what a beaut.

If the 20 mm G redesigns the flaws of the current 20 mm AF D,, and priced at say 750 dollars,,, then,, could be a great choice.

When I want to carry a 20mm, I actually use my 20mm 3.5 AI lens,, way nicer then the 20 mm 2.8 AF D. sharp, no vignetting. and super super compact. seriously, if you have a FX camera,, picking up one of these classics is valuable addition to any kit.

Last edited:

stmv

it darkens the corners quite a bit, and sharpness has been a bit less than a lot of my other primes. I like the size, but not as often the results.

the older 3.5 darkens a bit too, but I seem to get better results than the newer AF lens.

Of course, the days of finding bargains is less common, I think I found my 20 mm used for like 120 dollars, but now, hard to find one for under 250. Too, many people buying used gear now, the price of FX success and DX cameras that can meter old glass (i.e. D7000, D600, and any other higher end Nikon camera).

SkvLTD

Nice electronically-plasticy goodies. IMO I'd aim for something in the 10-24 range since <24 IMO ends up being much more useful, and pretty close to a 35.

crycocyon

Congratulations and nice photo of the lenses side-by-side. Wouldn't mind seeing more photos of the D600 with the lens on, perhaps 3/4 views? When it comes to bang for the buck, nothing can beat the trinity you seek. :encouragement:

As of tomorrow (or Thursday if I have to pick it up at the post office) I'll be 2/3rds as well, but then the next lens would have to be the 24 mm 1.4 G. :cool:

Thanks for the advice on the 20mm 3.5 AI lens, I'll look into that as that might be a good "in-between-purchases" lens until I can afford the last "third".

Last edited:

Dooku77

Haha success!!!! I tracked an 85mm 1.8g down today 45 minutes from work and purchased it. This posting inspired me to finish my collection

Eye-level

Banned
Rick your kit is closest to what I think is an ideal modern digital kit...

I will soon have the 85/1.8 Ai'd to go along with the 105/2.5 K which I am going to Ai as soon as I get off my b-tt already have the parts to do it just got to do it...

Now I need a real good fast wide angle...20, 24/2.8 or 2, 28/2.8 or 2, maybe 35/1.4...Ai'd of course...I'd rather go wider than 35 though...

I have the "old school" lens kit that will work with every Nikon digital/film camera there is... :)

Last edited:

Helitech

Congratulations and nice photo of the lenses side-by-side. Wouldn't mind seeing more photos of the D600 with the lens on, perhaps 3/4 views? When it comes to bang for the buck, nothing can beat the trinity you seek. :encouragement:

As of tomorrow (or Thursday if I have to pick it up at the post office) I'll be 2/3rds as well, but then the next lens would have to be the 24 mm 1.4 G. :cool:

Thanks for the advice on the 20mm 3.5 AI lens, I'll look into that as that might be a good "in-between-purchases" lens until I can afford the last "third".

Sorry for the late reply! Been swamped at work! But here you go, I took some with the battery grip off too

u3uqapu6.jpg

4ujageha.jpg

gu9u8yde.jpg

2e9a3utu.jpg

Helitech

yikes those are some ugly images! i really need to get a back up body! lol! anyways here was the first image i snapped with the lens.. the lens was delivered the day we found out the gender so it was a perfect opportunity to take the "reveal" pics for our family

10394pv.jpg