Rockwell wrong again ?

Rockwell claims that the D800 D600 and D4 have the same internals but a different case ........???

So that means they all have a 36 MP chip and its cut down to 24 or 16 mp ....

Now I think he got it wrong because if you look at Large /medium/small they are all done by missing pixels ie medium is miss every 4th pixel and small is miss 1/2 the pixels.

Well mr rockwell it dont work out if you study the exact pixel counts ....the 24 of the D600 is not miss every 3rd pixel and 16 does not divide at all ....love Rockwell.....

AC016

This has been discussed at length once before and just like many other topics around here, the horse is dead. As others have pointed out many times over, it is but his opinion and his opinion alone. Let's all get over it.

Sorry oh great and wise one ..must have missed it ...lets get the moderator to remove the thread.......

hello mod .....calling mod ......

stmv

laughs,, sure,, they just fill the extra space with lead to make people think they are paying for more.. that's funny.

The designs are similar, and even some components can be identical such as the exceed processor engine, programmed differently.

but the mirror shutter control, sensor, and prism structure is different for, and no way are the sensors the same,,

The D4 is a 16 Meg sensor, totally different size pixel in the sensor, and the D800 is a 36 meg, again different size pixel, That is why each of these behave differently in noise signatures.

He has some valid information, does a pretty good job on some lens, but, he has a bit too much power on the internet of people blindly following his advice.

some folks really have problems with him.

All good ..read the other post and nobody did the calcs ( which dont work out) they just bashed rockwell ....personally I am more of a hogan man....

if you take 3/4 of the horisontal pixels on a D800 you dont get the horisontal pixels on a D600 so he cannot be right .

piperbarb

Why would anyone take him seriously? Furthermore, why are we giving him any bandwidth via discussion? Rockwell repeatedly contradicts himself, sounds officious, and hopes that newbies click on his sponsors' links so he can add to his own coffers.

I normally do not get involved in these discussions about someone so arrogant and pompous and full of himself, so... 'Nough said....

JDFlood

Rockwell claims that the D800 D600 and D4 have the same internals but a different case ........???

So that means they all have a 36 MP chip and its cut down to 24 or 16 mp ....

I would never interpret that as having the same sensor. It would mean having the same support mechanics and electronics, just substituting a different sensor... That seems blatantly obvious to me. JD

Rick M

I would never interpret that as having the same sensor. It would mean having the same support mechanics and electronics, just substituting a different sensor... That seems blatantly obvious to me. JD

Agree, not a supporter of Rockwell, but I take it as the basic non model specific electronics are the same. He's grandstanding to get attention, that's just inteligent manufacturing by Nikon.

Last edited:

JDFlood

I like Rockwell for a first take on something. He's enthusiastic and gets the gist right. Then I move on to more detailed serious reviews, DR, Hogan, Ming Thein, DXO.They usually reinforce and fill in the boring details. In general I would rather be out photographing than reading reviews. JD

dmc

I look at Rockwell as just another source of information. Use due diligence and many sources before making up your mind.

Brusader

I've heard that since Rockwell has mentioned this, Nikon have modified the mentioned models so that it is true. This is because they realised that Ken Rockwell is correct and their development and QA teams missed this small detail.

You can also send your camera back to Nikon for it to be 'corrected'.

:)