Deer @ iso 12,800

Sambr

D4 & 28-300vr @ 300mm iso 12,800 taken at 6:30 am this morning in my back yard :) No post processing just a conversion to JPEG from RAW

Deer_iso12800-L.jpg

Very nice for that ISO. What was your aperture and shutter speed?

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D4
Image Date: 2013-03-31 06:35:55 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 300.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv: 12800
Exposure Bias: -0.33 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Photographer: SAM BRUNO
Copyright: @2013
Software: Capture NX 2.3.2 W

Sambr

That is amazing. At what point in a print to paper does the noise get to bad to use? or even be noticeable?

Last year I had some 8x10 prints done from a Roller Derby shoot, they were at 10,000 iso shoot with my then D3s. They came out great. Haven`t printed anything from the D4 however comparing them on the computer the D4 edges out the D3s Iso 12,800 is compared to iso 8,000 on the D3s. Both great bodies.

Last edited:
Last year I had some 8x10 prints done from a Roller Derby shoot, they were at 10,000 iso shoot with my then D3s. They came out great.

When I was shooting with my D3100 I did a test shoot at all ISOs It was interesting to see where the quality dropped. small stayed pretty good but at high magnification at the high ranges it was totally unusable. I was going to do the same test for the D5100 today but there were to many clouds coming through. I know the D5100 will not even come close to the D4.

Sambr

How did you get the metadata, using NX2? Wow, 1/200th of a second. So with that lens you are probably shooting f/5.6 at 300mm.

With this shot it was at f6.3 I have shot at 5.6 however I like to stop it down when i can, and this lens with VR allows me to shoot at that ss for the focal length. If I was shooting my 300f4 without VR the SS would of had to of been 400 & faster.

Sambr

When I was shooting with my D3100 I did a test shoot at all ISOs It was interesting to see where the quality dropped. small stayed pretty good but at high magnification at the high ranges it was totally unusable. I was going to do the same test for the D5100 today but there were to many clouds coming through. I know the D5100 will not even come close to the D4.

You will be surprised at how good the prints from the 5100 are. I have seen some amazing stuff from those bodies.

You will be surprised at how good the prints from the 5100 are. I have seen some amazing stuff from those bodies.

i can print 13X19 at home and have several at that size and they are great. I have a canvas 20X24 print from my D3100 and it is my favorite photo in my house. I want to print something really big at some point just to see what it will do.