Nikon D3200 - problem with single point auto focus

mark smyth

hi all, I joined this forum today due to an on going problem with my D3200 that was bought in November. I would like to keep the camera on single point auto focus because I shoot mostly wildlife. This stays in place but eventually it moves off to one of the points to the right and mostly goes to the extreme right focus point. I reset it and it happens again. Why is it doing this?

you are poking the multi direction button without realizing when the camera is on ,,,,,, .... I think its one of those pain in the ass nikon features on the 3200 as you have a restricted menu ..on the 7000 it does not move as you can select the number of sensors as well as AF-S

Last edited:
the up down left right you use for menu selection ....moves it any time you have the camera on ..I just tested it ....dont know how to lock it ..dont think you can ....pain in the ass

sailtastic

Its a common feature on the 3100 and 3200. It's likely that your thumb is just catching the edge of the 'right' button. Keep your thumb out of the way and keep an eye on the little red lights.

mark smyth

Just realised I don't have to press the info button and OK together. When I look at the focus points and move the wheel the menu icons move

marce

I shoot with my left eye, so my rather large proboscis will often move my focus point, pressing OK while in shooting mode resets it to the middle point. It is a pain sometimes.

I shoot left eye.... for right handed people its there best eye....good point on the ok button..just tried it and you are right ....Thats the difference as you pay more for a nikon ..same 24mp picture but better control function.

mark smyth

Thanks for the tips. I think the problem is sorted. I cradle my camera and it looks like I may be pressing buttons without knowing. Mark

SteveC

This "undocumented feature" means a common control has been intentionally omitted from an otherwise good camera. I too shoot some wildlife and it's a real p.i.a. when the focus point is 1 or 2 points to the right of where you expect it to be. The single-AF point is a tiny red dot, not easily noticeable with the camera at eye-level when you are trying to find where the heck it went. I have never used a DSLR where the af point could not be locked. For most this may not be an issue. For me it underscores BEGINNER camera and makes the D3200 a big disappointment.

Glenn

Hi, not to butt in, but im having an issue with my Nikon d3200 too. When in auto mode or pretty much any mode, at times when I press the shutter switch half way to focus, it will not focus and tends to make a rapid ticking noise. Other times it is fine. I've been told it be due to fogging of the lens. Any ideas?

yvonne

Is there a way to get off the single point focus and have the entire focal points lit at once to shoot an image that has an extensive depth of field?