R7 Error?

M.Hinch

Camera wont take a shot. It seems auto focus wont work. Do my contacts need to be cleaned, on the lens or the camera. Have went to manual mode and then been able to take the shot. Does not always happen though. Just on my 55-200 mm VR. If contacts need to be cleaned, what should one use? Soft cotton cloth?

Thanks
Michael

Joseph Bautsch

If you are seeing the R7 in the viewfinder on the bottom right corner then it's not an error indicator. That tells you how many shots you have remaining in the shot buffer. If there is an actual error happening then it will appear in the LCD view screen on top of the camera. Make sure the switches on camera and lens are set on auto focus. Sometimes they can get turned off. If you don't have enough contrast in the subject matter for the AF to work on it will not take a picture but will in manual mode. Also if there is not enough light available it might not be able to focus and the same thing will happen. Check these things out and let us know what happens.

M.Hinch

Correct on 2 counts. Purposely went out today with my 18-55mm and tried again. Same results. Not enough contrast in colours. Also not enough light. Very overcast day. Went into manual and was able to take a shot.
You learn something new everyday. Thank you for your help.

Michael

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

You also can set the lens to manual, focus by hand and it will take the shot. You can also set it to AF-C (continuos focus) and it will take the shot. Problem is if the camera can't see the shot to focus most likely you can't either and you get a lot of shots that are blurry. (Don't ask how I know all this). :D