Cannot see through viewfinder

mike6623

Sometimes I can, others I cannot. I assume this is an easy answer but I'm very new and still a little lost. Is there settings that turn the viewfinder off? Should I always be able to see through it?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Lens cap?

When it happens, turn off the camera and remove the lens. Check if the mirror could be caught half way up or something.

Or maybe you accidentally hit the LiveView button and then you can't see through the viewfinder but only on the lcd.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

Sometimes I can, others I cannot. I assume this is an easy answer but I'm very new and still a little lost. Is there settings that turn the viewfinder off? Should I always be able to see through it?

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
Nikon Product Manuals available for download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Since this has been posted in the 3200 forum, I would assume that the OP has a D3200.

Dave_W

The Dude
Does a D3200 have an eye-piece shutter that you use to close the viewfinder for long exposures? Might he/she have flicked the lever and not realize it?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Does a D3200 have an eye-piece shutter that you use to close the viewfinder for long exposures? Might he/she have flicked the lever and not realize it?

I would doubt it Dave. The 700 and 800 have it and maybe others, but not the 7000 so I suspect this would be for FX pro line.

Dave_W

The Dude
Q - when the camera is in the "no see through VF" mode can you still take a photo? And if so, after you take a photo are you still unable to see through the VF?

BackdoorArts

Are you possibly in Mirror Up mode (M'up)? If so, maybe you're between shots (each shot requires 2 shutter button presses)? If you turn your camera off and on again, can you immediately see out of it?

STM

What is mirror up mode?

Mirror up mode allows you to lock the mirror up for cleaning or other tasks. It also is good for longer exposures where the vibrations caused by the "mirror slap" could cause blurring of the image. It is especially useful in macro where even the slightest vibration can cause unsharpness

nickt

The OP has not confirmed he is NOT in live view.
So... no live view, right? As mentioned by Marcel, live view blocks the view finder off.