lens for portrait photography with Nikon d3100

Dave_W

The Dude
A 50mm lens is the classic portrait lens but any macro lens will work very well due to their ability to flatten out the subjects and keep their faces from bulging out in the center.

skene

Right now you can find the 50mm 1.8G and 35mm 1.8G for approx $200. Both will be good portrait lenses, however like what Dave stated, the 50mm will be that much better for portraits as with the DX crop sensor it will be approx 75mm. If you are really trying to get a good lens on a budget you can always look into the 50mm 1.8D which everything will work except for autofocus. But those can be had for $120 new and usually sub $100 used.

Disorderly

I have to disagree. A longer lens is better for portraiture; it flattens the features and makes almost everyone look better. Look for an 85mm 1.8 or even a 105mm macro; even if you have to get one used, it'll do an amazing job of portraiture.

This was my first portrait effort with my 105mm macro, framed exactly as it came out of the camera:
4457.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
That kid is beautiful and that is a great photograph!

Yes the 105-135 range is the classic portrait head and shoulders focal length and the 85 is for half length portraits...

I would say you could use a 50 or even a wide angle but you have to use those lenses properly for portraits...

Just remember unless you like big noses and big hands don't get overly close!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
On a crop sensor, a 50mm is equivalent to a 75 on FX. So I'd say that anything between 50 and 105 would be good for portrait on a 3100.

MoonManMike

Have to agree with the latter posts. A slightly longer lens is usually better for portrait shots, or at least 'close ups'. A wider angle lens can give rather unflattering results by emphasising the size of the items nearest to the lens (usually nose and chin). For head or head and shoulders shots, anything around 105mm (+ or - a bit) is ideal. Using a slightly longer lens also imposes a little less on your subject, by keeping a little more distance between you/the camera and him/her; hopefully making them a little more relaxed

skene

But also keep in mind that in the request of the OP... clearly stated "strict budget", now hard to tell what is meant by a strict budget... could be $100, could be $1000.
But then again... if he had $1000 to budget out he can clearly go above 85mm new or used and have room to play with.

While I always love the look of shooting with a longer lens... their budget and your budget and everywhere else in between is different.