Any experience w/Viviter flash?

well it says TTL not iTTL in the write up (TTL is the old pre flash system) but that may mean the advertiser does not know the difference ....Personally I would have bought a YN 565 II ....

Update ..

found an Amazon advert that said iTTL

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

I recently ordered a Vivitar flash DF-583 Power Zoom Speedlight for Nikon. Vivitar DF-583 Power Zoom Speedlight for Nikon VIV-DF-583-NIK Any feedback on this? I have an SB-700 and needed a second flash.

Not familiar with that unit... spec wise it looks pretty decent.. Question, looked it up on Amazon (only had 1 review) but it was a bit pricey ($30 more than the best Yongnuo, $60 more than the good Nongnuo) How are you going to fire these flashes??? If CLS, is this compatible?? If triggers, are your triggers compatible with ITTL mode or are they manual only??

If u are using triggers to fire the unit off camera and they are inexpensive they could be manual only?? If so, you are going to run the flash in manual and can get away much cheaper with a manual only flash...

Just a couple thoughts... Best of luck and let us know how it all works out!

Pat in NH

STM

Over the years I have owned Vivitar 292, 283 and 285 flashes and found them to be very solid and reliable flashes. Granted, none of these were dedicated flashes but just generic automatic/manual types so I don't know if that helps you much.

some of those guns date from 30 years ago ..are 300v trigger types should not be used on modern digital and Vivitar branded good are not made by the same people now as the reputation of the brand would indicate

Cowboybillybob1

I read a review where thr reviewer used it just like I want to. There is something about the Yongnuo flashes that put me off. I can't put it in words just a feeling. Not rational I know but there still the same. I will update when I get it.

Last edited:
perhaps its because YN make the guns for cannon that you don like them ...
The only thing you cannot do with even the best YN is use it as a commander ...thats nikon patent technology

STM

some of those guns date from 30 years ago ..are 300v trigger types should not be used on modern digital and Vivitar branded good are not made by the same people now as the reputation of the brand would indicate

I still use my 292 upon occasion with my D700 because it is compact, powerful and I can rotate the entire flash 90° and have so for over 2½ years and have never had any problems whatsoever. My standard flash with my D700 is a Sunpak 544, which gets A LOT of use, and again never any problems. As often as both get used, were I to have any problems with the camera, I would certainly have had them by now.

Last edited:
Certainly the 283 dates from the 80s ,,main thing is beware and if unsure put a voltmenter on the flash from centre connector to frame ...modern guns trigger with 5v older ones up to 300 ...just a warning for those who think a flash is a flash is a flash

STM

Certainly the 283 dates from the 80s ,,main thing is beware and if unsure put a voltmenter on the flash from centre connector to frame ...modern guns trigger with 5v older ones up to 300 ...just a warning for those who think a flash is a flash is a flash

And the 292 is circa 1978 with new (about 1 year old) 1600 mA hr rechargable batteries in the battery pack and it is still going strong and again no problems whatsoever with my D700 after 2½+ years

Cowboybillybob1

Well I took delivery of the Vivitar DF-583-NIK today. B&H $189.00.
The Users Manual is severely lacking as is the Web site as well. Fortunately there was a Tech Support phone # in the Manual. I got a live person on the phone right away! Told him my problem in that I could not get the flash to work in a two remote flash setup.He quickly told me how to set it and bingo it worked. After I hung up the phone and started to take some pics I could see how both flashes were triggered but no pic? Totally black. I shut the Vivitar off and the SB-700 worked fine alone.
I had to play with the settings a bit but to make a long story kind of short I got it to work perfectly.

The Vivitar looks very similar to the SB-700 and bottom line is that they work similar as well. In fact I like that you don't need to press a button to move the head around.
All in all aside froom the poor manual I am very happy with my choice to save a few bucks and get the Vivitar over a second SB-700.

Last edited: