New off camera flash setup on the way

carguy

After reading up here, on Strobist.com and taking a Meetup.com studio lighting class last night, I did some shopping on Amazon tonight :)

I already have one SB-700

Ordered the following:

Amazon.com: Cheaplights NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger and 2 Receivers Set for Canon Nikon Pentax,OTT-04GY: Camera & Photo
* Exact set sold by Cowboy Studios, only half the price. I was able to try these and the PocketWizard out last night, for what I'm doing, I'll go this route for now.

Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Photography 9 feet Professional Heavy Duty Light Stand for Photography and Video Lighting: Camera & Photo
* This was a more sturdy stand than the usual 7' entry level stands

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Umb-Soft-43-W Fotodiox Premium Grade Studio Umbrella Softbox - 43-Inch Shoot Through Translucent White - White: Camera & Photo
* Different than the usual umbrellas, acts similar to a softbox as well. For $16, what the hell :)

Also picked up a Cowboy Studios hot shoe adapter / umbrella holder for the top of the stand.

Not a bad setup for $67.

He also had a nice little flash to play with, this one had a sync cord socket I don't have on my SB-700... Not sure how this compares to the Yongnuo flashes I always read about. Seems like a decent flash for $43.

Amazon.com: Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite For Canon/Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Now for some fun... :cool:

Last edited:

carguy

Toys arrived Friday! Took a few shots today, samples to follow.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365285870372.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365285870372.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 2,826

carguy

New goodies arrived (Neewer TT560s ($33 each with PC sync port) and spare set of Cheaplights/CowboyStudio trigger/remotes ($13). Second stand & reflector arrived last week :)

je4u6eny.jpg

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

Last edited:

RockyNH_RIP

Congats!! Now go play and share the results!! Those look just like the older Yongnuo 560 (I have 560 II) and the triggers look like Cowboy Studio.. same as I have!

Pat in NH

carguy

Latest addition is on the way.
SP901 Square Perfect 9' backdrop stand setup, gently used through ebay for less than 50% off MSRP. Looking forward to dusting off the speedlights.

carguy

Looking at backdrop materials. Found a good thread here referring to the obvious (seamless paper) and something new to me - Lastolite knitted backgrounds.

Any success using fabric from the local fabric retailers? If so, what types of material work well?
I assume I'll have to whip our the iron to eliminate any wrinkles.

I'm not in a position to leave the stands up while not in use due to space in the house.

carguy

Backdrop setup arrived today, Excellent condition! Heading to the camera shop this weekend. Any input to my material question above?

Thanks!

fotojack

Backdrop setup arrived today, Excellent condition! Heading to the camera shop this weekend. Any input to my material question above?

Thanks!

Well, muslin has been the material of choice for ages, but it can be expensive, depending on the colour. I use a polyester-cotton blend black and grey sheet for my backdrop. My wife sewed the grey and black sheets back to back so I could use either one as the subject dictates. And then, of course, there are the paper rolls. Again, they can be expensive, depending on width and length. My advice.....improvise where you can. One portrait photographer I know uses solid colour curtain panels as his backdrops! Seems to work well for him.:)

Geoffc

I recently got the Westcott rich black crease free background. It seems quite good but I've never tried anything else. I'm using it as my home studio is not big enough to have the subject 10' from the background in order to kill the light.

riverside

Looking at backdrop materials. Found a good thread here referring to the obvious (seamless paper) and something new to me - Lastolite knitted backgrounds.

Any success using fabric from the local fabric retailers? If so, what types of material work well?
I assume I'll have to whip our the iron to eliminate any wrinkles.

I'm not in a position to leave the stands up while not in use due to space in the house.

I use white 90% of the time (mostly product photography) but also have black, light/dark blue, red, tan and yellow for certain circumstances.

The problem I discovered with buying bulk fabric from a retail store is no edge hems/crimps and even more important no rod pocket for a backdrop stand. Unless you have seamstress services available I recommend buying any backdrop from a supplier who has them ready to go on your backdrop stand, ~$20/ea on eBay.

To avoid developing intense hatred of steam irons, get innovative about where to store your backdrop(s) when not in use. I use cheap garment racks and then cover them with old sheets to avoid dust, etc.

Don't forget clamps. They are handy.