51 dynamic area af

nikonos

i tried to use this auto focus called dynamic area 51 but when i look at viewfinder it shows only one point at the middle and use only this point for focus also at all other modes (21-9-5 ) but on auto it use all ... someone know what make it happen and how can i change it to real use on the 51 points?

Dave_W

The Dude
Once you lock on to a target the camera focus will follow that subject as long as you have the AF button pushed down or you are holding the shutter release partially depressed. But this is true for all the various focus point modes provided you have AF tracking enabled.
The 51 focus points are not meant to say you can push your little square point around in 51 different places, rather it refers to your camera using 51 different points to acquire a solid focus and will use all the input from these points to insure you obtain a perfectly focused image. The various focus points talk to one another when determining the best focus and take into account curves and changes in structure of your subject.
But with birds I would suggest you leave the focus point in the center and latch onto the bird and follow it with your shutter release partially depressed and then take your photo when you're happy with the image.

Last edited:

Sambr

i know that i read the manual but why it shows only one point and not 51 as the 51 DYNAMIC AREA af should be ?

Hey there no need to get testy. You asked the question, we can't help it if you don't like the answer. What camera body do you have? You should complete your profile so we know how to help you.

nikonos

i was write it at the nikon d7100 forum so .... i have nikon d7100 and also i was posted a replay but it seems to not being posted ... thank you it helped me :)

It will not show 51 points if you have selected AF-S (S=single) ..hold down the focus mode select button and select with the rear dial ..it will show in the top window..Then go to the autofocus menu and select the no of points you want ..

Two stage process....

Last edited:

nikonos

It will not show 51 points if you have selected AF-S (S=single) ..hold down the focus mode select button and select with the rear dial ..it will show in the top window..Then go to the autofocus menu and select the no of points you want ..

Two stage process....

what do you mean, how to do it? im talking only at the dynamic area 51

nikonos

Two stage process....

how to do that on dynamic area 51

So what you are saying is you want me to read the manual ( ha ha everyone laughs) and tell you how to do it ....
first you need to select AF-C you will not get 51 if you select single !!!!!(AF-s)....thats in the manual........index at the back ......
Then go to the menu ..the one with the pencil on the LHS work down and select the 51 points....
now short of writing the manual in brail and shuving it
where the sun dont shine what more can I do ..
Sorry mod got carried away .....