Colorado Vacation

Stangman98

Ok folks. This summer I am taking a week long vacation to Colorado. Staying in Breckenridge.
Should I rent the Nikon 14-24 2.8 or 24-70 2.8 to use on my D3 and D80 while I am there.

BackdoorArts

What do you have now that cover those focal lengths?

If you don't have something that covers the ultra wide stuff (like a 16-35mm vs. the 14-24mm) then you should definitely get something there. Lots of great vistas that can be enhanced by a nice, wide shot.

I've not shot with the 24-70mm so I can't speak to the quality of that lens vs. other midrange zooms. I do know that if I were going there (and I am jealous) I would be more than comfortable with the quality I get from my 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 that I wouldn't feel the need to rent something to replace it. If I didn't have that but had a set of f1.8 primes (28, 50, 85) then I would need to do some mental juggling, asking myself whether I want to be changing lenses instead of spending the money on renting a zoom. But you know yourself better than we do.

JDFlood

I'd just get the 14mm-24mm, spectacular lens, that and the 35mm I would consider all but telephoto covered. The 70-200 2.8 covers tele. I find I take better photos the less i take, to a point, but that is me. JD

stmv

hey,, rent is only 84 dollars for a week,, for the 14-24,, so,, I say yes, mmm I am going on a trip in a few weekss..

The one thing I worry about is loss,, what if the lens gets stollen if you are traveling.

Rick M

I'd just rent the 14-24 to complement what you have. The 35 1.8 is Dx? I think the 14-24, 50mm and 70-200 would be a good set.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The 24-70 2.8 would be a more practical zoom for an all around lens. If you need to go wider, than just do multiple vertical pictures and stitch later. You'll get it wide and with a big file to print larger. Opinions might vary. Breckenridge is a great place. Nice skiing there.

BackdoorArts

As Rick points out, the 35mm 1.8 is a DX lens and will essentially mirror your 50mm, so I'd leave it home and save space in your bag. While the 14-24mm is tempting, perhaps consider the 16-35mm f4. You'll be shooting outside in the daytime most of the time, so the extra light probably not a factor, and it will cover you up to the 35mm, meaning the 50 can serve as the stopgap between the zooms you have. And I have no beef with the quality of this lens. Plus it takes a filter where the 14-24 doesn't, so putting an ND on there for extra time on water and cloud movement could be nice when you find those streams and waterfalls with the snow melt.