Best DX format?? Looking to upgrade...

Spozry

Hi all -

New to the forum! I'm looking to upgrade my D3100 - I just need something that responds faster and is better with action shots (indoors and outdoors). I'd love an FX format but those are a little above my budget. Any recommendations for the best DX format?? Anyone have the new 7100 that just came out? Thoughts/Suggestions on what to upgrade to?

Thanks! :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hello Spozry. Which lenses do you already have and how much are you willing to spend to achieve your goal? Nothing comes cheap in this expensive hobby you know? Will you be shooting indoor sports or outdoors?

BackdoorArts

If you're looking to upgrade, the pics I'm seeing so far for the D7100 look great. Lots of advantages there, but also a couple drawbacks that could impact you if you do sports and outdoor action (buffer size vs. fps - there's a thread in the D7100 forum). If you're looking to upgrade while staying in the DX world that for me would give you the best bang for the buck without having to spend money that approaches FX territory (i.s. cost of a D300 vs. a D600). It'll also give you the ability to shoot with non-AFS glass, which you can't do with the 3000 and 5000 series cameras.

Spozry

I have the standard AF-S 18-55 that came with the camera. I also have the 55-200 and 55-300 (all the low end standard basic lenses generally F4-5.6 range). I also have the AF-S F1.8G 50mm (great lens - captures amazing colors). The 1.8 is the only non-standard lens I have at the moment. I do both indoor and outdoor sports (basically basketball games indoors and outdoors is mainly action shots of rescue dogs [who are bouncing all over the place] and horse-shows [lots of horse jumping photos]). I know it's not cheap - but I love taking photos!! Thanks for your suggestions :D!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Maybe get the 85 1.8 could be your best bang for the buck… Seems if you want to shoot indoor sports, this would be a great lens to have.

I thought this guy was looking to upgrade his camera???? So if he sticks with DX its a 7000 or 7100 dependent on the pixels he needs..not much else different.
If you want a 85mm then tape one of your zooms at 85mm......if that fixed focal lengthe wont work for you then dont buy the 85

Last edited:

stmv

best bang for the buck,, 5100 for 496 dollars,, or so..

fanstastic value build 7000 for say 896 dollars.

best current DX camera 7100

You already have a 3100, so any of the older DX cameras would not have better sensors, but better features like say a used D300, but you asked sensor and not features.

I guess if I was buying today DX,, I would get the 7100 just for the sake of getting rid of the anti alias filter. that has me fascinated.

someday,, I'll get the D800 replacement that I am sure will not have a filter.

MrRamonG

If you shoot in manual mode I wouldn't buy any DX camera that does not have a sub-command dial. I find this feature critical for quick exposure adjustments. The D3100 does no have this dial.

Eye-level

Banned
The thing I don't like about my camera (which is an old one) but I am sure this applies to your camera as well is the small viewfinder. I would say if you are going to upgrade at least try to get a better viewfinder. That is going to help you pull off the shots more so than resolution or any of that hooty tooty stuff IMO.

Spozry

All great info - thank you! I have taken a ton of photos with the 3100 and most are good - it's just very slow to respond and shouldn't be during a lot of those times (my sister has the same camera and hers does the same thing). I'm the one who takes 50+ photos of the same subject using different settings, lenses, etc. to try and see what works best. People always comment as to why I take so many - i tell them there is a better chance of capturing exactly what I want when I shoot that way. I am leaning towards the 7100 but need to head to a photo store and see how it feels. Any specific lenses people prefer when shooting sports indoors?

thanks again for the help!

Bill4282

Just remember - what you buy today is obsolete in a year. Camera companies are like automobile makers, newer models all the time. Their primary market is the guy who wants the latest and greatest. If you look at the photos in the professional magazines, lots of pros still use older models, just buy better glass and shoot, shoot, shoot. Best bang for the buck. For the cost of a top of the line DX you can buy several better lenses.

piperbarb

Maybe get the 85 1.8 could be your best bang for the buck… Seems if you want to shoot indoor sports, this would be a great lens to have.
I agree with Marcel. I have the earlier version of this lens (AF but not D or G) and love it. It is very sharp, easy to focus (if you need to manually focus) and great for indoor photography. I use it on my D7000 and that is a great combination.

Spozry

what do you mean slow to respond ....what function....???

When I go to press the button it doesn't immediately snap the photo - it's almost like its thinking or trying to figure out what to do. That would make sense in some situations but when it's a bright sunny day and my subject is completely still it should respond instantly. I've tried different settings but it doesn't seem to matter. I want a camera that is going to keep taking the shot when I want - I've missed too many good ones because of this delay and its driving me crazy. My sister's camera does the same thing (same model). I just get frustrated with it.

Spozry

I agree with Marcel. I have the earlier version of this lens (AF but not D or G) and love it. It is very sharp, easy to focus (if you need to manually focus) and great for indoor photography. I use it on my D7000 and that is a great combination.

I have been eyeing that lens since it first came out - i have the 50mm one and love it. I hear lots of good things about it!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
When I go to press the button it doesn't immediately snap the photo - it's almost like its thinking or trying to figure out what to do. That would make sense in some situations but when it's a bright sunny day and my subject is completely still it should respond instantly. I've tried different settings but it doesn't seem to matter. I want a camera that is going to keep taking the shot when I want - I've missed too many good ones because of this delay and its driving me crazy. My sister's camera does the same thing (same model). I just get frustrated with it.

Check your menu. You must have a delay somewhere unless you are using "LiveView". Does it react the same when you use the viewfinder? You know the little hole where you put your eye to look through the camera… :)

There is a delay function you may have activated ........
or you may be using a focus mode that takes time to lock and it wont fire until its locked .....should fire instantly and keep going if you keep the button down.......sound like you have a menu setting problem...