Hello from the Kingdom of Fife

shortcircuit

Although a bit long in the tooth am new to this hobby. Have had various cameras in the past but never made much use of them but now have a bit more time. I have a D3200 and have been experimenting along with reference to a number of library books on photography.

As usual on forums newcomers always want something and I will not break this. I am looking at editing software and do not intend to spend a fortune. I have downloaded Picasa 3 which appears a bit basic. I see Photoshop Elements available on ebay for various editions, 7, 8 > 11 etc at a range of prices. Without going to the latest edition is there any which would be more useful than Picasa?

Printer? Again not going to spend a fortune but Epson Stylus has been suggested with a wide range of prices. Any suggestions?

I no I should search the forum for this info but I am sure there are many like me, as I post on different forums, who are willing to help newcomers.

BackdoorArts

Welcome!!

I haven't used Picasa, so I can't comment on it, but I survived using Elements for a year before buying into Lightroom. I'm hearing rumors that Lightroom 5 may be out soon, so you may be able to find deals on 4. It works well for both editing and managing your photos. Elements has an organizer as well, so if you're so inclined just use that. I have Elements 9 & 11 and feel that the latest is a nice step up from what was available in 9. I've seen it as low as $49, though right now it seems to be $65 on Amazon. If you happen to have kids or grandkids who are students, $70 for the Student/Teacher edition of Lightroom is a bargain.

shortcircuit

I have download GIMP and it appears a formidable tool and I assume is similar to Elements and Lightbox? The first problem I have is that I also downloaded the Help file and would have thought it would have integrated with the main program in order that it can be used off line but only operates when on-line. Is there some configuration to be done?

Have visited a couple of local clubs just to get a feeling of what its all about but think I will leave off until I gain a bit more experience. I visited one club last night and one of their members gave a demonstration of "creative photography" using Elements and Lightbox. I was absolutely amazed at how the computer programmes were able to manipulate images so may play about with GIMP.
Have a good easter.