New D3200 owner

wilbur-force

(Well i will be soon)

Wifey has bought me a d3200 for my birthday (end of April) and has told me to choose a couple of lenses as extras.... Lovely pressie :)

I'm new to DSLRs but keen to learn. I have the 18-55 lens it comes with but now I'm struggling to choose two more. I have previously been using a Panasonic fz1 which has served me well for a long time. This means I'm used to a reasonable amount of zoom. I also quite fancy playing with bokeh.

My shortlist then is this:

For zoom Nikon af-s dx 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6g ed vr

For bokeh
Either Nikon af-s Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g
Or
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d

I believe out of the 50mm lenses the g model will have autofocus on the d3200 but the d model wont ? I believe the zoom lens will autofocus on the d3200 ?

Now bearing in mind I'm new to DSLR and a hobbyist does anyone have any thoughts about my choice above ? I do have a budget (ish) and I'm aware that these are probably entry level lenses......

I'm stretching to go for the 55-300 over the 55-200 .... Am i correct in doing so ?

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyNH_RIP

(Well i will be soon)

Wifey has bought me a d3200 for my birthday (end of April) and has told me to choose a couple of lenses as extras.... Lovely pressie :)

I'm new to DSLRs but keen to learn. I have the 18-55 lens it comes with but now in struggling to choose two more. I have previously been using a Panasonic fz1 which has served me well for a long time. This means in used to a reasonable amount of zoom. I also quite fancy playing with bokeh.

My shortlist then is this:

For zoom Nikon af-s dx 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6g ed vr

For bokeh
Either Nikon af-s Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g
Or
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d

I believe out of the 50mm lenses the g model will have autofocus on the d3200 but the d model wont ? I believe the zoom lens will autofocus on the d3200 ?

Now bearing in mind I'm new to DSLR and a hobbyist does anyone have any thoughts about my choice above ? I do have a budget (ish) and in aware that these are probably entry level lenses......

In stretching to go for the 55-300 over the 55-200 .... Am i correct in doing so ?

Thanks in advance :)

Your logic is fine... budget and all in mind, the 55-300 is a decent choice, I have one. If you are gonna shoot wildlife etc, you will apprciate the extra range of the 300 and it is less expensive to buy the 300 now then the 200 and later either have remorse or an added expense. If you really do not need the extra 100mm, used 55-200's can be had for a song.. I think Cameta (sp) actually had a factory refurb for like $120.

I personally would go with the 50 1.8G (autofocus on yours) rather than the D which does not. You can also look at the 35 1.8G .. I have both, finding I use the 35mm a little bit more... sometimes cannot back up enough for the 50mm.

Welcome and enjoy your new Nikon!

Pat in NH

nickt

Correct on the 50mm: g- autofocus, d -no
The listed zoom will auto focus. Probably the 300mm over the 200mm. But it really depends on what you want. The 300 is a little bigger and heavier. But in most cases, people end up wanting the longer zoom. I got my 55-200 cheap at the time, but I ended up with a 70-300.

Also consider the 35mm over the 50mm. I have both. Both are nice. 50 is a little too much indoors. Like family group pictures, its hard to get far enough away indoors. I use my 35 more than the 50. If you can wait, use your 18-55 for awhile then get the 50m if you think that is best for you.

As I click 'post', I see Pat said pretty much the same thing....

wilbur-force

Thanks both. So would that be the af-s DX 35mm f1.8g ? I gather the af-s suggests that autofocus will work.

I know it sounds like I'm rushing in but i doubt the boss will give me budget again for quite some time :p

Amazon seem to be the best prices at the mo. I'm guessing many of these will be grey imports. On electrical goods this would worry me but is this likely to be a problem with lenses ?

In seeing the 55-300 at about £200 and the 35mm at £150. Good pricing ?

marce

I have the 50mm 1.8d, couldn't resist it £100 brand new, just love the lens its so sharp. Manual focus can be a pain if you are in a rush, but using the lens in all manual gives you a warm glow when you get it spot on. Use it for head and shoulder portraits a lot, with live view focusing, can't get it wrong.
I also have the 35mm 1.8G, and a Tamron 60mm F2 macro, and the 55-300 (which is a surprisingly sharp lens), mainly one of the primes lives on my camera, currently the 35mm, my kit lenses are in a box and rarely see daylight...
Tried a Tamron 10-24 recently and ended up returning it to the shop, wasn't happy with the sharpness, maybe I've been spoiled by prime lenses, but I do like using primes.
Wanna wife swap, mine looks like shes chewing a wasp every time I get a new bit of kit!!!

wilbur-force

cheers all. and marce, your last comment made my wife laugh :)

i think im pretty decided on the 55-300. using the nikon lens simulator it certainly looks like it does the business :) Just got to decide where to buy it from as most places have it for almost £300 but there are others selling for more like £160 - guessing these are grey.

Now just trying to decide between 35mm and 50mm for the other lens. im reading that the 50mm is better for bokeh ?

The camera has now arrived - trying to convince wifey that camera is for 'now' and lenses are for 'birthday' but no luck so far :p

nickt

So you have the camera in house? Then you MUST open it to make a proper decision on the 35 vs 50 before your birthday. The kit lens won't help you decide on bokeh, but you will get a better feel for framing.

For indoor pictures of people, the 50 will have you taking two good steps backward to get the view of the 35. Not always possible indoors especially if you are trying to get several people in the pictures. On the other hand, if you are doing head shots, you don't want to be too close with the 35 so the 50 will get you out of their face.

I don't know if I would choose between those two lenses based on bokeh. Both are sharp, so the decision would be more what you want to shoot. Bokeh is pretty similar at close range, I guess the 50 is better, but I have the Tamron 60mm macro and that is my go to lens for good bokeh with close subjects.

Check out this calculator to compare depth of field:
Online Depth of Field Calculator
It won't show you how it looks, but will give you a numerical comparison of depth of field at various distances.

SkvLTD

I'd say 70-300 VR and play with 18-55 to see what your main focal length is, then buy a prime closest to that.

Personally I seldom shoot outside of 35mm range and absolutely need at least 20-24 for indoor things, but got me a 50mm prime due to price. After having tried 55-200 and 18-70, I definitely like the bigger diameter and know for a fact that a zoom for me and wildlife needs to reach at least 300mm.

So for all practical purposes and being on a reasonable budget, 18-70 or 18-105 will do it for you. OR a prime of your preferred length. Past that, if you want to reach, anything with 300 reach or up.

marce

Forgot, I also have the Tamron 60mm, that and the 35mm may be a choice to look at, with the 55-300 to cover other ranges. The Tamron is good for portraits, this is hand held, on camera flash.
Eye#1.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I like the combination of 35 and 50/60mm as I have a BIG family, and one of my reasons for getting back into photography was to get pictures of everyone, and between those two lenses I can cover all the shots from group to head and shoulders. I personally prefer primes to zooms, mainly because I have to stop and think about the shot, my position and the model(s). And you do have some zoom control, the tripod shuffle:).
I only got the 35mm a month ago, it hasn't been of my camera since I first put it on. I find the field of view, sharpness and versatility of this lens a great joy to work with. I understand now why a 50mm on a full frame has always been a popular choice.
As you have the kit lens, set it to each focal length for a couple of days and shoot a variety of subjects (no zooming, just fixed at either 35 or 50) and see which one you find the best (a week at each one would be better).
The 55-300 covers all my other requirements and having a zoom for telephoto I do find indispensable, as often I am limited from where I can shoot, or don't want to scare the subject if doing wildlife, so I can use the zoom to frame.
Have fun, and let us know what you decide.

wilbur-force

Thanks all.

Im definitely going for the 55-300 .... about £160 from digitalrev seems like too good an offer to refuse !!

with regards to the 35/50 dilemma i think im probably best waiting till i have played with the 18-55 lens provided and figured out which im most likely to use :)

next task is to look at camera bags :)

skene

Definitely play with your 18-55 and shoot at both 35mm and 50mm and decide on what you like better.
I have both the 35mm 1.8G and the 50mm 1.8D, that I use on my D90 and the 35mm takes a backseat for those rare occasions that I need to get a touch closer as opposed to the 50mm. For shooting indoors and any family gatherings in small rooms the 35mm may be the better bet.

As for bags, it will all really depend on what you need to carry around. If you will only have your camera and 2 lenses and want light... or are you going on an expedition and need multiple lenses, or deciding to carry along your laptop.. There are far too many choices with bags. Maybe look at Lowepro great bags and with a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

wilbur-force

Thanks for the advice all. The 55-300 is now on order and I almost got wifey to let me play with my new D3200 today but im not quite there yet.

With regards to the second lens i will probably wait until ive had a play with the unit :)

.... although historically ive never been good at waiting :p

wilbur-force

OK.... still not good at waiting :p

camera opened up and played with - we have a new puppy and it would be a shame to miss out on his early days wouldnt it ;)

one word. "wow!". now im still very much a novice but ive taken a few shots and most of them are hugely impressive for me !! :eek:

D3200 - a set on Flickr

Not all perfect by any stretch of the imagination but for my level and compared to my last camera i am truly in awe :D

fotojack

Does anyone bother with screen protectors ? im a fairly careful user but how tough is the screen glass ? any opinions ??

Careful or not, you'd be wise to attach one to your camera. One just never knows, does one! :) A lot cheaper to replace a screen protector than the screen itself.

wilbur-force

Careful or not, you'd be wise to attach one to your camera. One just never knows, does one! :) A lot cheaper to replace a screen protector than the screen itself.

Yep - you are right. I usually add one to a phone but figured that my camera would be treated less roughly. But I guess it only takes one mistake to make a scratch !