Circular Polarizers

luvinrunnin

I want to get a circular polarizer, but don't want to spend more money than I have to. Open to input and suggestions.

I am going to be taking lots of barrel racing pics and really need one.

Thanks!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I have the Nikon 52mm and it works great. I think I paid around $70 for it. I know there are less expensive ones out there though.

Joseph Bautsch

I did some research on the internet and found a lot of recommendations for Marumi filters. I also found an independent photo testing group that tested 100 brands and rated them on quality. They rated Marumi filters as being the best on the market. I had never heard of them until I looked into buying a new set of filters. What I understand Marumi made filters for the Japanese market with little going overseas. The internet seems to have changed that. While they are still relatively unknown they are now sold world wide. They are also less expensive than most of the more popular brands. I have used the Marumi CPL Digital for the past six months and find it of very good quality, it turns smoothly to set it, other filters thread on and off easily and with no hang ups and has worked as well as any I have ever used.

luvinrunnin

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into those. I need a 52 and a 67mm and now that I am home again most of my money goes to the horses! :-/ lol

Joseph Bautsch

Something you might want to think about is using an adapter ring, or two. You can get an adapter ring to go from 52mm to 67mm. That will allow you to use the 67mm filter on the 52mm lens. I use an adapter ring to go from 67mm to 72mm and buy all 72mm filters. That way I can stack two filters where needed and not get vignetting in the corners of the shot. It keeps the filter edges out of the picture even when shooting at wide angle. That way you only need one set of filters even for the 52mm. Two adapter rings will cost about 3-4 dollars each.